Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

working abroad HELP

Recommended Posts

i've been asked to quote for a job in the south of france, but the insurers aren't so keen, it seem's like i've got my public liability to agree to it, but insuring my self ? if anything happens i'll bare the full cost of the medical bills say hopefully in the worst case one of us needs to be air lifted to a hospital ? anyone know who could help me out ? any one of any experience working in france before ?


Cheers Alex

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello Chap,

Normally you should be covered on your EEC health card.




As an aside, carry proof that you are resident in the U.K and any paperwork to prove that you are on a short contract like letters including your quote or invitation to work, printed emails and your return ferry ticket.

This in case of any accident or random road side inspection by the Gendarmes.

If they think you are working 'on the black' then you may find yourself walking back to Britain after a short stay in a cell.

Here, you are guilty until proved innocent.




Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

lovely cheers for the advice lads, so you recon ill be alright with out having to seek specialist travel insurance ? i wasn't to sure ill have my english passport with me, the paperwork of the job and my train of ferry ticket. hopefully that should do me well!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Alex


One thing to be aware of is that of the French authorities requirements for working, they demand (by law) you be registered with a Siret number with the appropriate insurance.


Its a legal requirement for the householder to ensure that people employed on their property are registered as such & can incur large fines if not.


Thats my understanding anyway, check AngloINFO France. Everything for expats living in or moving to France. for more


Bon chance



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

You can legally work on short contracts if you can prove that you are not resident.

Think about the work of international 'consultants' for instance.

The rules are not black and white.

As long as you are actually registered as a business/self employed in your own country you may work on temporary contracts here.

Carrying some paperwork to support this is a must in the event of a control or even if you are 'denounced'.

Also, the arb industry is not required to offer any legal guarantees or conform to any 'norms' like the BS standards unlike the building industry here.



Edited by Ty Korrigan

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Featured Adverts


Arbtalk.co.uk is a hub for the arboriculture industry in the UK.  
If you're just starting out and you need business, equipment, tech or training support you're in the right place.  If you've done it, made it, got a van load of oily t-shirts and have decided to give something back by sharing your knowledge or wisdom,  then you're welcome too.
If you would like to contribute to making this industry more effective and safe then welcome.
Just like a living tree, it'll always be a work in progress.
Please have a look around, sign up, share and contribute the best you have.

See you inside.

The Arbtalk Team

Follow us


Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.