Stihl 08s,rubbish?

Pinkfoot

I'm the proud owner of a TS350, "super" version no less!

If it's essentially the same saw and sound enough then it's well worth holding on to. Mine could sit for a few months and still start on the 2nd or 3rd pull, easier started than my 440.

Obviously stuff like this that built the reputation which Stihl are still largely trading on today.

• 5 years later...

I'm from Australia (Drop Bear Country) & I just picked up a 1969? 56cc Stihl 08S with Chain Brake & electronic quickstop yesterday. I just want to say I'm really impressed! It has been really looked after. Was originally owned by Forestry department here & then onto 2 other owners before me. I gave it a quick service & sharpened the chain & cut straight through seasoned hardwood Gum pallets like they were fresh green Gum! The only other medium sized saw I own is a 1997 Jonsered Turbo 2050 50cc that I love to death. 

Both are complete opposites in that the Stihl has a chunky bar & thick chain whereas the Jonsered has a slim bar & chain. 

I read that the 08s is slow but, didn't find that today. Obviously I wouldn't compare it to a newer saw for cutting speed but, I found it has good torque & didn't notice too much vibration as I read about. Anyway, I'm very impressed :)

@Rich2484 Yes, they are a bugger to remove chain but, I think the Chain Oil pump & line built into the cover is a brilliant idea as you have easy access to it if needing replacement or adjustment. I just worked on an MS 180c & had to rip it apart to get to the oil line that was leaking oil past it. But, I guess that's not as bad as some which you have to remove the clutch brake to get to the oil pump :(

Edited by DrTim
  • Like 1

On 03/01/2014 at 16:01, Rich2484 said:

Yes. They have loads of grunt. Been working on one with a chain brake. A real pig to get the bar and chain off as you have to remove the entire front wrap around handle and chain cover in one go.

Old tollinson carb, so easy to work with. And parts are there if you look for them.

Is that like a Tillotson ? I reckon it's worth £40 just to teach you a lesson, they are old technology, points and condenser and 20:1 oil ratio plus they weigh 8.5 kilos. :D

Borrowed one for a day from a builder mate years ago, it weighed a ton and by the end of the day my hands were nearly numb with the vibes. But it did cut all day and never missed a beat. However it is hard to recommend a machine with no chainbrake in the 21st century ! I'd save the £40 and go to the pub instead.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Silverhooker said:

Borrowed one for a day from a builder mate years ago, it weighed a ton and by the end of the day my hands were nearly numb with the vibes. But it did cut all day and never missed a beat. However it is hard to recommend a machine with no chainbrake in the 21st century ! I'd save the £40 and go to the pub instead.

..... better than a bowsaw n axe ! Good reminder of how saws used to be. But remmbr the tree fallers would have used the saw for cross cutting n fell but delimbed with an axe cos a snedding axe would have been faster. K

• Like 1

Mine's great for cutting bigger bits on the log heap. 21" bar. Keeps going all day. Very easy to work on. As stated changing the chain or bar is a ball ache and new bars are costly as they're a 3002 pattern so a 21" is circa £75. Heavy, you really feel it at the end of the day. I wouldn't use it frequently for felling. Loud and rough on your hands.

On the plus side I can get it out set the throttle catch and it starts first pull from cold. It's a good 10 years old than me and doesn't skip a beat. Has a certain charm to it for sure.

No brake so only good for personal use, which is all I do. 

Makes me smile on starting as the noise is different to all the modern saws. I guess because it'll be running at lower revs.

• Like 1