Re Arb Vehicle

New Boy

The new Hilux will do 3.5t. Also, you don't really get that many chippers weighing 3.5t. Unless you're towing biggish plant you don't get that many trailers at 3.5t. (And before everyone piles in whinging about how big their trailer is,) I'm talking about relative to the numbers of other trailers about.

Landrovers have a larger towing capacity than some others. I thought the op was after a chipper truck. I'd rather have a 3L Japanese engine than a 2.5L transit engine.

My advice would be to drive one around for a bit.

The Land Rover/Japanese argument is older than the Stihl/Husky one. If your local garage services one or the other go with that. They all get beat up and broke at some stage.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've a 110 tipper that is over 20 years old its not broken down and it gets worked hard. I had a newish LDV which cost me a fortune to keep running. With a 10k budget you should be able to get a well sorted second hand truck whatever you go for. Think about where your business may be in a few years time and what your area is like for working. Is it all road or like me will you end up driving accross fields.

The guy is gonna need to pull a trailer if doing tree work though really so that would be a good thing with a landy. Mines TD5 engine, bomb proof engine, and pulls well. Landys are better off road than hi lux, I've had to to hi lux out of the mud on a couple of occasions as to light on rear end. If your 6 ft tall then a hi lux is just as cramped, I drove one last week and it was as uncomfortable as a defender single cab. As you say its husky/Stihl with landy/jap so each to there own. The breakdown cover thing is a bit of a myth too.

Hi as a new boy (your words) the question is where you work and do you have a chipper at the moment.

My company works mainly south London, Kent, Surrey with a massive range of clients, for us a four wheel drive which we have which is Jap by the way is not used that much. As we do not do a lot of off road stuff but is handy every now and then. If you are in areas like Scotland, Wales etc then four well drive all the way. So I think you have to know your market place and it must fit to what you have and what you aim to buy in the future.

If your loaded debris then a good 35cwt tipper lwb flat bed tipper with crew cab for you tools would be perfect which you could then have high sides and a roof later on if you buy a chipper.

Never been a fan of Landrover's had them in the past and never got on with them.

Ps: I will have for sale a 35cwt standard build arb truck with tool box and chip box. Flat roof with ladder rack, beckons ect. Nice little start off truck pm me if you want info and photos.

Thanks, am hearing mixed reviews about a defender tippers mainly that they break down, no offence to defender owners out there!!! But having said that i was thinking that a 4x4 defender may be a good choice.

I am a one man band at the moment but expect to grow in the mi-term, so may be a crew cab would be good.

What about additional features such as winch, lift capability or would that be over kill at this stage for me?

Thanks all

A good friend of mine told me that a defender can be repaired with only a few tools in the middle of a field, whereas more modern trucks need to be plugged in. Also landrover parts are cheap and easily accessible.

Is most of your work domestic/town work or is it mostly commercial/in fields and on farms etc?

A good friend of mine told me that a defender can be repaired with only a few tools in the middle of a field, whereas more modern trucks need to be plugged in. Also landrover parts are cheap and easily accessible.

Is most of your work domestic/town work or is it mostly commercial/in fields and on farms etc?

you obviously have not come across the puma engined or td5 defender...

although a lot of the drive-train parts are similar across the marques, the engine has got more computerized as it has got newer.

the new defender is awsome off road with its traction control but with that comes yet more electronics. :thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown:

i do like the sound of the td5 with a straight through exhaust. and the puma pulls better than the td5.

A slight aside, somebody mentioned the 4x4 capability of the hi lux versus the defender? As an off rd driving instructor I would say defender every time if you want to keep going off rd. no I don't own one as they are slow and uncomfortable, that said a well maintained one will last for ever. Most problems arise on any make through poor maintainance or if they are new! New motors seem to keep wanting to go back home.