'First' Saw Demo/Advice?

Dan White

With respect mate, but that's a bit disingenuous. Elsewhere there's a 20 plus page thread about loads of hassles with various 560 Husky's in which you are a very frequent poster and I could quote yourself many, many times from that thread in stark contrast to what you say above.

Now I don't doubt the fact that it's doing a good job for you now, but why would I want to run the risk of all the hassle you and many others have had when there are other alternatives?

A chainsaw is not supposed to be like a french car, .............or at least didn't used to be!

Oh, and in the interests of balance, I'd apply the same theory to a new Stihl despite having a dealer for them 5 minutes away!

I'v heard the 60cc Dollie is a cracking saw by the way !

Ok , fair cop ! I did have probs but all fixed under warranty a long time ago ( 2011 to be exact ) Since then all has been well . :001_smile:

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On those several threads there are less than 10 people complaining consistently, on those same threads, people who are more than happy with a 550/560 outnumber those 3:1, and with any saw, you run the risk of a Friday saw...

And mine was made around the same time as jnoon's and mine is awesome

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Mine was poo 😕

However I would try a 2014 saw and hope the problems I had have been rectified

people who are more than happy with a 550/560 outnumber those 3:1,

Well even if you wanted to take that as being indicative, that's a 25% failure rate. That's pretty poor for ANY piece of machinery, and for something as basic as a chainsaw, very poor form.

Again, I'll repeat. I simply didn't see why I should take that degree of risk with a new product when there were/are other alternatives with no such issues for a broadly similar amount of money.

To be honest, it only seems like common sense!

Again, I'll repeat. I simply didn't see why I should take that degree of risk with a new product when there were/are other alternatives with no such issues for a broadly similar amount of money.

Please help this lad with your alternative dolamar, echo so he can compare to the husky and stihl saws. I would also like to see what else is out there!!

Well even if you wanted to take that as being indicative, that's a 25% failure rate. That's pretty poor for ANY piece of machinery, and for something as basic as a chainsaw, very poor form.

When a saw comes out you (usually) hear how good it is, that drops away and you hear negatives, does hearing only the negatives make the saw bad? There are forever threads about saws not oiling, this breaking and that, does the bad feedback mean you wouldn't buy a 660 because of the muffler outlet? Nobody would have bought a 346xp as it leaks oil everywhere when sat. Even other saws have common faults, and as for alternatives to those, echo is limited dealer wise, and what stock they carry, dolmar has no dealers! You might not need a warranty repair, but I'd rather buy a machine for more money that if it goes wrong, I can take it back to where I bought it and have them fix it.

When a saw comes out you (usually) hear how good it is, that drops away and you hear negatives, does hearing only the negatives make the saw bad? There are forever threads about saws not oiling, this breaking and that, does the bad feedback mean you wouldn't buy a 660 because of the muffler outlet? Nobody would have bought a 346xp as it leaks oil everywhere when sat. Even other saws have common faults, and as for alternatives to those, echo is limited dealer wise, and what stock they carry, dolmar has no dealers! You might not need a warranty repair, but I'd rather buy a machine for more money that if it goes wrong, I can take it back to where I bought it and have them fix it.

👍👍👍👍

Evening again All, this time from a very windy anchorage off the Thames.

Thanks for the advice. Its very interesting as a newcomer to listen to these discussions and try and glean as much as I can. Particularly when a similar question arises in another 'new groundy' thread.

I'd like to think I'm pretty mechanically minded - I've kept my Landrover running sweet for 6 years with considerable effort but limited small petrol engine experience.

But I'm also a bit of a magpie for shiny kit & new tech (caveat - as long as it's quality & fit for purpose) so I'm going to take the recommendations and look for a recent 560XPG. Googling Echo and Dolmar in Herefordshire does bring up one possible source so I wont rule them out yet. But the ability to easily get something fixed under warranty is a must. I'll take the advice of various other threads to deal with any auto tune problems if they arise!

Thanks all - I'll keep you posted when I can get home and do some shopping.

• 1 month later...

Woohoo! It's Christmas!

Just got back home after my very last day in Naval uniform to find my new uniform had arrived!

I went for the 560xpg with a 15in bar in the end, a pair of Mindl woodwalkers and SIP progress trousers. After shopping around I settled on Honey Brothers as the better deal overall and put the order in last week.

Now (in the immortal words of Jon) I need some big butts and I'll have a crack at setting up the autotune. Wish me luck!

1392337519955.jpg.a3086fc62e46ea119e4457307459bd82.jpg

1392337468648.jpg.527c35fd961b164400cbbdaae587c1d6.jpg

great looking saw , good luck with your new career ! .

+1 from me, I left in '98 & civvy st does take a bit of getting used to.

nice saw, that SIP stuff is good kit, I also have a pair of SIP arm gauntlets which the Mrs borrows when shes hedging.

N

Edited by NFG