'First' Saw Demo/Advice?

Dan White

Evening All,

After trawling loads of threads here, I'm pretty set on a 372XP or 576XP (G - any duffer can be cold!) as my 'first' proper saw. Since doing my CS30/31 last summer I've realized how knackered my hand-me-down 1970's Husky is and how crap my selection of B&Q specials are!

I'm doing the four week MOD leavers course at Kingswood this spring prior to looking for any description of tree work & climbing experience; so my decision is based on versatility/longevity and with a few different length bars I'm hoping I should have a saw capable of most jobs thrown at a groundie, forestry novice or trainee Arborist! Of course I'd love to pair it with a T540 in time but not yet!

Is there anywhere in Herefordshire/Worcestershire/Shropshire that I could get my hands on some saws and talk to someone face to face who knows what they're talking about. There's only so far I can go by asking online!

And in answer to the inevitable 'why not an MS 4##?', I'm open to all advice - just always had Husky's!

Cheers!

Dan

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys, I was looking at the 560 to start with for that very reason. But based on the 'choose only one saw' type threads my thinking was for versatility with the payoff of a heavier saw? I did like someone's quote that its only the 18 year old wants to use an 880 all day!

To be honest do you really need a 70cc saw to start off with? I'll be honest and say i did but it was heavy very very heavy by the end of the day. I got a 346 shortly after and well the 70CC saw rarely came out.

If you want something very versatile get a 60cc saw the 560xpg. Have a 13" 15" 18" bar for it and you'll be able to tackle most things with less weight, less vibes and less fuel consumption. You'll have the option of running 3/8 chain on it as well.

Don't know your experience but felling with a 70cc saw is a lot quicker than a 50/60cc saw. When your learning it makes a big difference.