New Mower sub £700

Burgess

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am considering a mulching mower, do they have a good finish, or can you see the mulched grass after you finished?

Depends on lots of things such as how tall the grass is, how regular you cut it and what height you cut at. I use it in sites where finish isn't so important such as schools.

There are mulching mowers, then there are good mulching mowers.

Stiga make the best mulching mowers, that is to say they are best at making the clippings disappear as if by magic. And I have tried many makes over the last 25 years. The John Deere JS63 is the only machine I have found to match the Stiga.

But even Stiga's are not actually magic, and are only as good as the operator.

If you want to see no clippings at all, then you must cut regularly, and on fast growing grass once a week may not be enough. My lawn is mostly ryegrass and in a good growing season will need cutting every 3-4 days to get a perfect finish. Leave it a week and I sometimes see an unsightly residue on the top.

The golden rule of any mowing, but especially mulching is to onle cut 1/3 of the total length. This leaves 2/3 'stubble' into which the cut clippings will get lost. If you increase to say 50-50 then there will be insufficient stubble to lose the clippings and they will lie on the top.

Also, to get the most out of a mulching machine in adverse conditions you need to present the minimum grass possible to the blade to give it time to process the grass. This is achieved by a slow forward speed, or a high cut, or a combination of both.

Understand the machine and work with it, and you will achieve a great finish. Be impatient and you will make a mess.

Use it correctly and the grass will grow thicker and greener and moss will disappear.

Its best to keep a collector on standby for when conditions get out of hand.