Working in California

Sacramento Tree Service | Sacramento Arborist | Tree Removal

Seems to have a lot of Mexican works which you will find in most firms out there but the English guys we meet do well and seem to be charge hands and estimators as well as climbers. But they have the room for big equipment and use mewp's and cranes and loaders at lot with big chippers all to reduce the labour and speed the work up.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hodge,

Hard to explain what tree work is like in Oregon in a post. Have you ever worked in the states before? My work is nothing like axmen; I'm an arb not a timber faller. Hell even timber fallers are nothing like those halfwits on axmen. The PNW is indescribably beautiful though, I've attached a few of my favorite photos of climbing in Oregon.

Ossian, sounds good man. There's small scale but high quality work just north of SF bay in places like Marin, Sonoma, Napa, etc, but north of there not much except redwood logging. There's plenty of good work in Portland, and the quality of life there is pretty ridiculous. Let me know if you want contacts...

Great pics Will, I like the last pic best:) no I have never worked over there just spent my younger days Skateboarding around SF and The Bay Area. Thanks for replying:)

I've heard this bit before about the Mexicans driving down wages in Cali and I gotta say it's just nonsense. First off in the US there are no national professional standards for arbs so you are always getting underbid by someone. If you're in California that person is likely to be a Hispanic dude named Juan. If you're in Tennessee that person is likely to be named Jimbob and have no teeth. Either way there is ALWAYS someone who will underbid you.

Also, wages for arborists in Cali are some of the highest in the US. So again I don't get it. I worked there for a while and had loads of great work and great clients. If anything I think the market for highly skilled, career-type climbing arborists is tighter than other places I've been.

i wouldnt trust that Will k fella.....

HA! Yeah Drew you wouldn't trust me? You got almost 3000 posts here bro, how do you have time to climb any trees? I think it's only reasonable to assume you're a 15 year old typing on his mom's computer:001_tt2:

Hey folks,

Thanks so much for all the support and advice. I have not worked in the states before as an arborist but I have reached a point in my life where I need a new challenge and the US of A seems the best bet as I have an American passport through my dad who is from San Fran. Saying that I am considering other options such as Australia, New Zealand, Canada and even Scandanavia (although I am keen to go a bit further afield). May as well say a bit about where i'm at... Me and my wife recently split up after 6 years together (no kids). I am 33 and have 6 years experience as a climber and am keen to add to my experience by going and trying a bit of international work while I am still young enough to climb full time. I consider myself an arborist (although I am not yet fully qualified, I am taking my ISA exam before I set off along with CS40 & 41 or equivalent) so am looking for climbing work for someone who shares similar views about the long term care and importance of trees. I am interested in scientific research and subscribe to a number of journals to keep up to date. I am considering maybe trying to get a job with Bartlett here first and then re-locating. Will continue to post on my progress here, looking to head out in the summer at some point.

Just be warned, the sticker shock will become very clear when you add up your living expenses and wonder why your net income is at the level California will provide you.

The USA is really a big country to establish your self, unless your dead set for the Golden State, just remember you still have options. All the best.

easy-lift guy

Just be warned, the sticker shock will become very clear when you add up your living expenses and wonder why your net income is at the level California will provide you.

The USA is really a big country to establish your self, unless your dead set for the Golden State, just remember you still have options. All the best.

easy-lift guy

Thanks Easy Lift, It's good getting lots of advice from various people. I'm not set on the Golden State, it just makes the most sense as I have roots there. I am considering all options at the moment and the best one may end up being here in the UK, I have been mostly working in Glasgow and Scotland up till now but have reached a point where my career is not advancing as fast as I would like so I am keen for some fresh challenges. :001_smile: