Working in California

I am looking for information about the process for working on the West coast of America/Canada (would also consider other areas). I have an American passport through my dad so Visa wouldn't be a problem, just wondering also if that would allow me to work in Canada? Is it best to just phone a few companies? Any information or advice would be most welcome.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I too have family west coast

As far as I am aware the best slots are for the californian government

Good pay

Lots of holiday

Medical & other bonuses

As the mexicans hoover up general work

& charge small fees its tough

Just curious if you have ever worked in California?. I would be very surprised if the jobs with California Government exist, must less the really high cost of living due to housing and taxes. I believe you would be better trying a larger firm like:

Asplundh, 2120 Mission Rd Ste R

Escondido, CA 92029

Neighborhood: Escondido

(760) 489-1135

Take Care

easy-lift guy

Hey TranquilTree,

There is plenty of good work available in California. What part of the state are you looking at? It's a huge area and arboriculture is different in every part of it. And of course it's very different in the PNW.

There are good paying public sector jobs, though those are usually very hard to get. With the right experience you can land a job doing high quality residential work easily and be paid VERY well (by US standards)

What is your experience like? I am based out of Portland, Oregon but worked in the SF bay area for 8 months and know lots of folks over there...

Cheers,

Will

Hey TranquilTree,

There is plenty of good work available in California. What part of the state are you looking at? It's a huge area and arboriculture is different in every part of it. And of course it's very different in the PNW.

There are good paying public sector jobs, though those are usually very hard to get. With the right experience you can land a job doing high quality residential work easily and be paid VERY well (by US standards)

What is your experience like? I am based out of Portland, Oregon but worked in the SF bay area for 8 months and know lots of folks over there...

Cheers,

Will

Hi Will, tell us more about the tree scene in Oregon, do you do lots of felling like in Ax men or are you more Arb work? That PNW has always had a mystical look to me, the rugged coast and huge trees are amazing. I always wanted to go to Portland when I was in the US on one of my Skateboarding trips back in the 90's. If you have any cool pics of your work get them up please.:)

Hey TranquilTree,

Cheers,

Will

Hi Will, thanks so much for your advice. I am looking at Northern California (of San Fran) and possibly Oregon (I have good friends in Portland). I have 6 years experience and have run my own business for some of that time, done plenty of rigging, sectional felling etc. I will keep posting as I look into what opportunities may be available, looking to leave some time in August.

Cheers, Ossian

Hodge,

Hard to explain what tree work is like in Oregon in a post. Have you ever worked in the states before? My work is nothing like axmen; I'm an arb not a timber faller. Hell even timber fallers are nothing like those halfwits on axmen. The PNW is indescribably beautiful though, I've attached a few of my favorite photos of climbing in Oregon.

Ossian, sounds good man. There's small scale but high quality work just north of SF bay in places like Marin, Sonoma, Napa, etc, but north of there not much except redwood logging. There's plenty of good work in Portland, and the quality of life there is pretty ridiculous. Let me know if you want contacts...

597667b63b995_finalphalnxdwnwrd.jpg.bf4d016198f9c1474f861f292be10fd7.jpg

1519305_10203023017119993_1387235779_o.jpg.ff96df17a0264a52b9d729d5f0cd3f9c.jpg

981448_10201824881447350_970700190_o.jpg.679a56aa038573c868095c0ce3b0f01c.jpg

Love San Francisco. Would happily work there myself. I had The offer of a job with Davey Tree but it just proved too much of a risk short term unfortunately. Haven't been to Portland but loved the area around it as we drove from Seattle to SF. Some cracking country around there.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

I have not worked but been over to the area a couple of times and had the pleasure of spending time with a few companies for a day or two helping out. Bartlett have a number of depots in the area which you can find online. When we were with them the work seemed to be high end and if you are interested in plant health care as we were then well worth a think. Sacramento is further north and inland but is lovely and is called the city of trees lots of older properties and older tree stock, I may be able to dig out some contact details for you if required.

There was a guy from Newcastle who has a company south of san fran but may be the wrong area for you.

Good luck go for it.