If you need advice on a generator for your house

gensetsteve

You should be able to add a link but talk to the manufacturer first to make sure. The link openspace man put up describes it well. The last time I worked on a small set must be 15 years so not really my thing. That briggs and stratton link has been around for at least 20 years so not sure if its up to date with the latest regs.

Cheers Steve

Martin

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Are the windings on the genset set so there is an earth to neutral link so with the aid of an earth spike you can get a tncs system instead of the floating earth from the cheap generators?

Cheers

Martin

:confused1: What language is this???? :confused1:

Laughing at my own ignorance, I have NO IDEA what this means!!

Good thread from the lecky man! May be in touch to source a home stand-by set soon....

:confused1: What language is this???? :confused1:

Laughing at my own ignorance, I have NO IDEA what this means!!

Good thread from the lecky man! May be in touch to source a home stand-by set soon....

Sorry I'm a qualified spark, that doesn't do a lot with generators, so I was making the most of picking Steve's brains.

If you get really bored and want to know about how your house electrics are earthed have a read of this http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Earthing_Types

Martin

Many thanks. Rather than centre tapping the genset would a link in the plug between earth and neutral do the same, with a suitable warning label attached?

I've got some portable shower blocks that I need to feed from a generator and they need RCD protection hence my question.

Can you recommend any good books on generators and there associated wiring?

Many thanks

Martin

If anyone wants a set configured like this I can talk to pramac first but I would imagine the link in the plug with decent label sounds like the way to go. Because then the set still has floating earth and only 120v max to earth.

There is a book called Diesel generator handbook by Mahon published by Butterworth Heinmann came out in 1992. I have used it to get my Apprentices a head start before they go to college. I think its about £500 now but sometimes they come up on ebay for £75

If anyone wants a set configured like this I can talk to pramac first but I would imagine the link in the plug with decent label sounds like the way to go. Because then the set still has floating earth and only 120v max to earth.

There is a book called Diesel generator handbook by Mahon published by Butterworth Heinmann came out in 1992. I have used it to get my Apprentices a head start before they go to college. I think its about £500 now but sometimes they come up on ebay for £75

Cheers Steve

I thought my regs book was expensive, I'll keep an eye on ebay.

Many thanks

Martin

Sorry I'm a qualified spark, that doesn't do a lot with generators, so I was making the most of picking Steve's brains.

If you get really bored and want to know about how your house electrics are earthed have a read of this http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Earthing_Types

Martin

I will Martin, not because I'm bored but because I'm frustrated by my lack of understanding of the dark art of sparkying! Cheers!!

Interesting thread. We have a 1.5 kva Honda petrol generator having spent 3 days over christmas many years ago without power. Its used for lights, fridge and central heating controls with cooking being done on a camp stove.

We switch off the incoming switch to the consumer unit to disconnect from the grid and then plug the genny into a socket on one of the rings. I know this will bypass the RCD for all the sockets and the isolation from the grid needs careful attention, but I'm a bit concerned about the earthing having read the comments above.

When we isolate the consumer unit and break the neutral connection then that leaves our system without the earth to neutral connection. If this isnt in the generator then do I need to add this link in the generator plug?

Interesting thread. We have a 1.5 kva Honda petrol generator having spent 3 days over christmas many years ago without power. Its used for lights, fridge and central heating controls with cooking being done on a camp stove.

We switch off the incoming switch to the consumer unit to disconnect from the grid and then plug the genny into a socket on one of the rings. I know this will bypass the RCD for all the sockets and the isolation from the grid needs careful attention, but I'm a bit concerned about the earthing having read the comments above.

When we isolate the consumer unit and break the neutral connection then that leaves our system without the earth to neutral connection. If this isnt in the generator then do I need to add this link in the generator plug?

You need a change over switch. If you have a power outage in your area and your lights are on the utilities can ask to see your set up. If they see what you have done they could try and bring a prosecution. It only takes a minute to forget the sequence and someone has pulled in the main breaker at the wrong time.

I also know a man who made a shocking serious mess of his hand, when he inadvertently reached for the live Plug that was reverse wired (to a generator) to feed the electricty back in through a Wall socket.

It did'nt help that he then allowed the quite serious burn to get badly infected.

Despite being described as a "Risk Taker" by our health and safety Officer, not sommat I would have dreamt of doing.

For this very glaringly obvious reason. Because I know I would forget.:blushing:

Def an "either or" change-over switch, and correctly wired in.