Tree's failing?.....So move the target.

David Humphries

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another factor here that some may not be aware of is the nature of the location: Hampstead without such old trees' date=' albeit not perhaps in A1 condition, simply wouldn't be the area it is. Sounds hellish snobby I know but it's true. Who'd knock down every damaged tree in the New Forest or, appallingly, the Caledonian Forest? The old 'uns are part of the fabric of the places and knocking them over simpy isn't up for negotiation.[/quote']

:confused1: "knocking them over" Did I say any thing like that??????????????:confused1:

It doesn't need knocking over, its already fallen over!!

I'm only really advocating clearing up the mess.

Edited by Monkey-D

IMO I also think that the first tree should be removed and a new one replanted in its place.

I understand that you want to retrain trees in there natural state with the least amount of interference as possible but I think that if you have the chance to replant in a setting that would allow the tree to grow naturally and not be subject to being hacked to pieces in order to save a few leaves on the lawn or a bit more light in the garden then it should be done.

The tree in the second pic does indeed look brilliant and deffo worth keeping until it too gives up the ghost!

i am in two minds about what has been done, in one sense i regard England to be a garden, in which man has landscaped throughout history so to maintain form, the tree should be removed and replaced. However, leaving the tree as it lays is surely just the landscaping of the 21st century??? There are no rules!!!!:wink:

My negativity is based on what I feel is an obscene waist of money and effort, when ,IMO, the trees time has passed.

I feel the same when I see old pet animals being kept alive, not for the animals benefit but because of the owners inability to accept the cycle of life and death.

Its only my opinion and we all have one :001_smile:

For what that has cost you could have planted literal thousands of trees.

That tree has the potential to provide hundreds of thousands of acorns for hundreds of years.....for free.

Excellent work Monkey'd.

Edited by scotspine1

That tree has the potential to provide hundreds of thousands of acorns for hundreds of years.....for free.

Excellent work Monkey'd.

:confused1: Which at the moment are being eaten by the deer and the donkeys, expensive animal feed, IMO.

This a picture of the champion Lucombe Oak which fell over down the road in Phear Park this winter.

All though it is unlikely to continue growing it has been left for the time being by the LA.

I should piont out that the public's response to leaving the tree has been almost entirely positive and is drawing crowds dayly with people driving some distance to see it. The fact that it has fallen now seems to make the tree even more interesting and if left will be a great feature in the park for many years to come.

So if it was up too you would you clear this?

oak.jpg.7f7b914d8830810cc80fbb831f34d0e6.jpg

Edited by gibbon

I should post a picture of the champion Lucombe Oak which fell over down the road in Phear Park this winter.

All though it is unlikely to continue growing it has been left for the time being by the LA.

I should piont out that the public's response to leaving the tree has been almost entirely positive and is drawing crowds dayly with people driving some distance to see it. The fact that it has fallen now seems to make the tree even more interesting and if left will be a great feature in the park for many years to come.

How very, very sad.:crying:

Maybe we need to fell all our trees inorder for the public to enjoy them.:banghead:

:confused1: Which at the moment are being eaten by the deer and the donkeys, expensive animal feed, IMO.

95% of the crown foliage is outwith the reach of deer and donkeys. See pic below.

Monkey'd,

You could make a special feature of this tree, put up a plaque explaining why you guys made the decision to retain the tree adding that it provides an annual crop of hundreds of healthy acorns used for your replanting projects.

Have an area in the park where you have planted the offspring of this windblown Oak, even start a new oak woodland. That way the public can understand that despite the tree being windblown it is still of great use in the park.

59765410ddfe9_monkeydoak.jpg.b9113ca6f34c24e64d4dcae39b557a0c.jpg