Tree's failing?.....So move the target.

David Humphries

Euthanasia has a place, IMO.

Its a sorry looking sight.

Agreed, within reason.

Its my opinion, that many Trees are given up on too easily and too early.

This next Tree happens to be a couple of hundred yards away from the enclosure Oaks of earlier.

Known locally as the Bandstand Oak.

I've got a theory that it's possibly old enough to be an Armarda Oak. (1588)

These were Oaks that were planted on or at the site of the Beacons that lit the high points that streched across the country to help warn of the impending Spanish invasion.

Does it fall within your remit for being passed it. Some would argue that it is.

Either way, it used to have open access and benches right up to & around it's trunk.

Benches moved and fenced off, replacement planted.

The reduced compaction has benefitted the vitality of the existing canopy immensely.

So Dave, questions are;

Would you condem it ?

Has this been an obscene waste of money ?

59765410c1685_GHBandstand1_05Oct1923.jpg.fc14c7538e5484c35ebc0f352e479f59.jpg

P3160018.jpg.5bd156334194a2e79375ad4995129078.jpg

P3160017.jpg.7ffd3c2acdf1fbd24caef771e7202d04.jpg

P3160016.JPG.b53ae7b4a6ab1ff4106d2aa593ae894d.JPG

DSC00476.jpg.7106a1114413605721d4f82604c25a98.jpg

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow what a tree. (the second one)

The first oak.....makes sense to retain it. as long as the person/people who are footing the bill appreciate it and it's safe then it's not a waste of cash. it looks odd but at least it's being retained. are there more trees going in to maintain the landscape.

It's a shame large old trees are felled, we should manage them to allow them to grow old as gracefully as they can.

Jamie

i like the principle of whats been done there, especially comparing it to youre other work david-fracture pruning, where youre trying to mimic natures decay to create habitat whilst retaining the tree through reduction, this IS natures decay/demise of a tree, retaining itself, keeping and creating habitat, the trees still doing its thing, abeit a bit more horizontal, which will in time look far more natural than say a coronet cutted tree.

it may well look at the moment like a windblown tree that needs clearing up, but in the far future, its going to be a point of intrest and far better than 'eco piles' or logs left as habitat-which in that setting would look like a pile o tat

Well the answer to the bandstand oak is no and no. Skyhuck i am glad you are not in charge here i would not have any trees left, 600 year old trees past there best! If it is all right with you david i will put on a few pics to this thread to see how many people would fell. But not till monday i am in london tomoz.:biggrin:

Does it fall within your remit for being passed it. Some would argue that it is.

Either way, it used to have open access and benches right up to & around it's trunk.

Benches moved and fenced off, replacement planted.

The reduced compaction has benefitted the vitality of the existing canopy immensely.

So Dave, questions are;

Would you condem it ?

Has this been an obscene waste of money ?

That tree is, IMO, a MAGNIFICENT tree growing old gracefully, I would enjoy looking at that all day long.

The cost of moving the benches and erecting the fence was worth every penny, and I would have happily have contributed to the cost of its retention of it if it were local to me :cool1:

The first tree which has fallen over looks awful to me and if I had to see it on a regular basis it would just make me sad.

I think the fallen tree actually spoils the look of the other Oaks in the group.

That tree is, IMO, a MAGNIFICENT tree growing old gracefully, I would enjoy looking at that all day long.

The cost of moving the benches and erecting the fence was worth every penny, and I would have happily have contributed to the cost of its retention of it if it were local to me :cool1:

The first tree which has fallen over looks awful to me and if I had to see it on a regular basis it would just make me sad.

I think the fallen tree actually spoils the look of the other Oaks in the group.

I agree, In those exact words.

I see your point, but technically speaking the City of London is not Tax payers money dave.

The COL is not one of Londons 32 Boroughs,

Our budgets are derived from the rent of the sqaure mile at the Heart of the Capital where the financial markets are.

The Open Spaces, which we manage, like Epping Forest, Burnham Beeches and our selves at Hampstead, are well outside the geographical boundaries of the square mile.

Another factor here that some may not be aware of is the nature of the location: Hampstead without such old trees, albeit not perhaps in A1 condition, simply wouldn't be the area it is. Sounds hellish snobby I know but it's true. Who'd knock down every damaged tree in the New Forest or, appallingly, the Caledonian Forest? The old 'uns are part of the fabric of the places and knocking them over simpy isn't up for negotiation.