Tree's failing?.....So move the target.

David Humphries

Speculation, but I wonder if that relates more to compaction than to risk?.........

I think you're probably right Alec.

There was an application of nutrients and Mycorhiza injected in to the rhizosphere from just beyond the drip line to the base of the trunk and the garden was kept shut for a few months to keep people off it.

I think that the two 'new' benches were moved mostly to give a place for viewers to sit and admire the the view to the tree rather than away from it.

..........I'm not sure that moving the bench was not a bit overdone. Seriously, what is likely to fail, where?

Guy, I'd imagine the circular bench was taken away partly to tick the box of 'moving' the target.

..............5th pic: was a machete used on an unappreciated vine in the past?

I don't know the history, but would suspect that an over zealous gardner hacked away at an old vine.

There are nails in bands every meter up the trunk which probably means it supported clematis or wisteria for a significant period of time.

image.jpg.6957f528804c56363a3f916c1aa179d9.jpg

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like benches under trunks; that way I can lean my head back and appreciate the architecture. Compaction from feet on mulched areas is really minimal. But yes the box is ticked.

The root with hack marks is so vital to structure--happy to see the tree grow over those.

David, considering the underground chemistry, companion planting seems like it might be beneficial for the tree, at least in the area where roots have rotted. Is that grass or what growing at the root?

Mulch looks rather deep, and close on the stem.

Any fung on this one?

O and I love what you've done with your avatar!

I don't wish to be rude but, IMO, what an appalling waist of tax payers money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It should have just been felled and replaced.

The other tree would not thank you, now they are being damaged.

A bit narrow minded, no? I'd rather see this tree retained and given the chance, in place of felling such a mature specimen that has accrued 150 years of value. Would planting a new one offset the loss? Not for another 150 years...