Aspen fuel

lerp

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aspen will run fine on brand new equipment, if used on older equipment it can degrade the rubber components but is more a reaction on the parts after pump fuel has softened them already.

You can get fuel leaks between fuel pipes and tanks plus on older machines, the Aspen can dissolve resins and the inner surface of the fuel tank causing the issues thet you probably have.

Try stripping the carb, use carb cleaner down the H and L screw holes and try it again, it should help.

This is my own experience and may not be others!

Aspen will run fine on brand new equipment, if used on older equipment it can degrade the rubber components but is more a reaction on the parts after pump fuel has softened them already.

You can get fuel leaks between fuel pipes and tanks plus on older machines, the Aspen can dissolve resins and the inner surface of the fuel tank causing the issues thet you probably have.

Try stripping the carb, use carb cleaner down the H and L screw holes and try it again, it should help.

This is my own experience and may not be others!

Basically what he said.

I use a mechanic for most repairs/servicing. After starting with Aspen I had problems. They originally thought one MS200T needed a new carb, so changed it and problems persisted with starting and running. They then found that seals were leaking on engine and replaced these and gasket and put a new pump piston kit. It then needed tuning and runs ok at moment but I feel not as good at starting as before.

My second MS200T is still with them it had new pump piston kit fitted but still did not run right. They are now looking at seals on this one.

I shall let them know your advice. Thanks.

Sorry, time to put the record straight here.

Firstly, Aspen does not, and can not, dissolve anything. It contains NO solvents so it does not decompose fuel lines, neither does it dissolve resins or the inside of fuel tanks.

What it can do, is bring to light problems caused by the solvents in petrol. These solvents will have softened fuel lines and caused them to swell. Remove the petrol and they will shrink, sometimes to smaller size than when original, hence leaks.

Resins that have been built up in fuel tanks by petrol will slowly 'dry up' and disperse when petrol is not used, so the use of Aspen encourages the fuel system to clean itself up merely because petrol is no longer being used.

Aspen itself can never harm an engine.

The crank seals will not be affected by the Aspen, if they were developing faults then they would have caused issues anyway, even had petrol carried on being used.

The MS200T is very well known for being a fickle beast. Carb problems are more common on the MS00T than any other saw I have ever worked on. (probably due to the rubbish ZAMA carbs that Stihl use because they own Zama)

Also a bit confused as to why your mechanic needed to put a new pump piston kit into a new carburettor on your first saw as the new carb comes with a new pump. (edit, sorry just read your last post re this)

Once you have fixed your pre existing problems your saws will perform very nicely on Aspen.

Sorry, time to put the record straight here.

Firstly, Aspen does not, and can not, dissolve anything. It contains NO solvents so it does not decompose fuel lines, neither does it dissolve resins or the inside of fuel tanks.

What it can do, is bring to light problems caused by the solvents in petrol. These solvents will have softened fuel lines and caused them to swell. Remove the petrol and they will shrink, sometimes to smaller size than when original, hence leaks.

Resins that have been built up in fuel tanks by petrol will slowly 'dry up' and disperse when petrol is not used, so the use of Aspen encourages the fuel system to clean itself up merely because petrol is no longer being used.

Aspen itself can never harm an enrgine.

The crank seals will not be affected by the Aspen, if they were developing faults then they would have caused issues anyway, even had petrol carried on being used.

The MS200T is very well known for being a fickle beast. Carb problems are more common on the MS00T than any other saw I have ever worked on. (probably due to the rubbish ZAMA carbs that Stihl use because they own Zama)

Also a bit confused as to why your mechanic needed to put a new pump piston kit into a new carburettor on your first saw as the new carb comes with a new pump. (edit, sorry just read your last post re this)

Once you have fixed your pre existing problems your saws will perform very nicely on Aspen.

There is one thing that has been bugging me. Sorry to derail this. But how long has aspen been in use. When was it first made?

There is one thing that has been bugging me. Sorry to derail this. But how long has aspen been in use. When was it first made?

Not sure exactly how long Rich, but it has been around for many, many years. I had been aware of it for perhaps 8 years before i started selling it over 2 years ago.

Aspen has never damaged an engine. Engines using aspen may have failed though, through air leaks etc, just as they would on petrol.

I got sequence of events a bit mixed. After new carb did not solve problems they then took off new carb and replaced old one with new pump.

I have very little mechanical knowledge. Could solvents in normal 2-stroke mix have softened seals on engine and then shrinkage have caused leaks once I changed to Aspen?