Compulsory drugs testing

arbogrunt

Some interesting answers. I've never smoked myself (although I am partial to the odd skinfull of beer at weekends!). I still think theres no place for it in the workplace and I think a lot of Bosses are unaware of just how common 'skinning up' is on their worksites.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sorry....but in my experience you cant trust anyone with an addiction/habit. they will be looking at ways to get their fix, and i dont just mean drugs, simple things like smoking regular ciggies in work trucks after being told no are a regular occurance.

im addicted to tea, im always on the look out for someone elses flask to ge my fix.........:drunk:

Certain professions are allowing the use of drugs, like physicians, pilots, stock brokers and soldiers, even climbers - as long as it's a marketed and legal dose that may not have been tested over time, but works well with disgruntled youth carrying automatic weapons. At least here.

• 4 weeks later...

I began climbing in USA recently and had to do a drugs test before i was hired! I believe this is very common practice in the States these days especially with a job such as ours! What is even worse then the initial pre-employment drugs test is the random drugs tests! A friend told me he had to give up smoking weed completely because he had a HGV licence and his company policy was to test employees randomly! One day they turn up for work and you are told you have a drugs test in an hours time! Probably on a monday morning!! Even a few drags off a joint are not worth losing your job for! I can see both sides of the coin tho! I think the use of drugs whilst working in the Arboricultural profession is totally unacceptable! BUT.......... is smoking a spliff on a friday night after a hard week really gonna make you any less able to carry out your work safely and efficently on monday morning? I think not! I think drug testing for dope is maybe going too far!?!?! As for coming into work a little hungover, mmmm, i think it happens to the best of us occasionally, and i think my response to this if i was an employer would be to give you the shittiest job i could find for the entire day! This will make you think twice next time your in the pub on a schoolnight!

The thread is about should drug testing be compulsory or not?

I personally think of course not! Why because if you do it out of working hours and it doesn't affect your work why should you be penalised. But smoking at work no way, I dont care if it doesn't affect you, because you do it everyday, or its only after lunch, no those arguments simply dont work for me because if one can smoke dope the other can drink cans of beer and the groundie wants to pray... theres never an end....

Its nice to do a days work get your dosh, go home and spend it in whatever you like.

Jack