So you think you're tough?

Joe Newton

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just checked this out- we did a laverda in Madeira 2 years ago that was very hairy but this is worse.

Would that by the Levada de Caldeirao Verde by any chance? We did that one in the fog - it didn't help. Also walked across from Areiro (third highest peak) to Ruivo (highest peak) and back via Torres (second highest peak) which involves crossing cliff faces on narrow paths, bits of which are missing having been destroyed by rockfalls. The way back on that route is the only place I've felt what the phenomenon of 'exposure' is like - described as feeling like a fly on a wall. Fortunately I also established that I don't suffer from it:001_smile:

Still prefer to do that than climb that tower though!

Alec

I can't hardly watch the vid, never mind actually do it.

Did the treetop walk in the Valley of the Giants in WA a couple of months ago.

paid $30 so my missus could watch me absolutely terrify myself! She isn't bothered but I am just useless when it comes to heights, especially with a sidewind blowing the gantry about.

Missus climbed to the top of Sydney Bridge when we were there last year. I went for a walk round town instead. :D

I am hopeless on ladders too, unless I am in an enclosed space. Can work at the top of a ladder if there's stuff around me but no way could I be on the outside and clean a gutter for example.

Here's a weird one. My yard floodlight was broken and needed replacing. Last year i struggled to change the bulb never mind the fitting.

This year i tricked myself by doing it in the dark with a head light on. I couldn't see how far up I was and wasn't bothered in the slightest. Changed out the whole light fitting no worries at all.

What makes laugh is that they don't have to tie in. Is only if they want to. One slip and bye bye

What's the point of tying in? Fall arrest, maybe manage an injury locally and await rescue.... It ain't coming! It's zero tolerance for mistakes where so called 'risk management' actually makes the task more hazardous. Like working at depth.

Great vid, balls of steel! I watched footage of native Americans building the skyscrapers that pulled the US out of the great depression and was in awe of their natural talent, balance and comfort at height. How could that have happened? They didn't 'evolve' a working at height competence, it was just there, ingrained and specific to that race of people more so than any other.

The commentator says "there's no quick way down" when the guy is assessing the electrical storm potential, I'd disagree! There are 2, one is the direct route (best avoided), the other is a parachute. I would have thought a BASE jump would be preferable to a lightening strike?