How would you tackle this?

samiad

A bit bamboozled about how to go about taking this big limb off. It's snapped almost completely free with just the bark and a few strands holding it and has come to rest on top of a massive garage. The garage isnt damaged and the owner is keen to keep it that way but there's some nasty tensioned branches pressing down on the asbestos roof. I think some of the weight is being supported by the neighbours trees and a few other smaller branches that are snagged up. All a bit of a mess really. I'd normally leave something's me this be but I've done a fair but of work for the guy and he's keen for me to do it.

I was hoping to run my plan of attack by you folk just Incase I'm way off!

I'm thinking of climbing to a top anchor point then finding two sturdy lowering points, from which I could rope up the broken limb before dropping down onto it and knocking off a few of the s agging branches that aren't under tension. Its been there a month so i think its stable enough....

Then I was considering coming down and boarding up the asbestos roof in a couple of places so I could walk on and nibble away at the tensioned branchesuntil the thing breaks off and swings free on my lowering ropes. I'm a bit daunted by it all though, I can foresee some nasty movement and don't fancy being up close when it shifts so I'm half thinking of not going on the roof and maybe just trying to winch the thing off using the lowering ropes to make it more controlled. I think it could wreck the garage this way but that could happen anyway! What do you guys think? I'm gonna drive down again tomorrow and get better photos.

Many thanks!

image.jpg.45089d78cdd1ba1c7e2967199e6ca6b2.jpg

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like you could cradle/basket rig it at the 2/3 mark and pull tagline and rig the butt.

Tagline to pull the butt off ass over tea kettle.

Like you said take all the weight off that is in the air or minimally supportive

Best of luck with the tile I would suggest you will not be responsible for collateral damage.

Edited by RopeKnight
2/3 mark

Plenty of options. First setup a few pulleys in the tree, setup a 5:1 system on the deck, tie off the butt end to wear it has broken off, attach the end of the 5:1 just passed the centre of gravity and lift it off and away from the roof, (even easier with a mechanical rope puller if you have one) and lower it between the garage and fence.

Tie off butt end to stop it going when rigging lift line as said above, got lift point and a Tirfor winch to lift it slow and hold it. But be safe you say asbestos roof don't even put a foot on it with out boarding it first also if old it may be split already take a good look and if so point it out to owner. Best of luck.

Legends! Thanks allot! I reckon I can sort it based on those tips. Ive not got any proper winching gear but ive been thinking of investing in a decent turfer ever since i did my larger trees course a year or so back. Any top tips for a particular model? Im going back to get pictures tomorrow and to give him a price. I was thinking about tying the butt off secure and leaving it until after christmas (Ive got two all day works do's to attend!) but as its been there over a month already I think i might just leave it. I'l feel proper bad though if it comes down christmas morning. I'l put some tinsel on and tell them Santas big ass oak sled has crashlanded!

Thanks allot!

sam

Just make sure you are not taking liability for damage to the garage before you start a saw!

Get the guy to get his insurance out and see what they say, if he's covered then put a rope on the butt and pull it off, it will topple over and land on the grass and then he pays you for not much time and a builder fixes the garage with the insurance money.

Just make sure you are not taking liability for damage to the garage before you start a saw!

Get the guy to get his insurance out and see what they say, if he's covered then put a rope on the butt and pull it off, it will topple over and land on the grass and then he pays you for not much time and a builder fixes the garage with the insurance money.

haha, don't be silly Stevie...and Sam, please don't try that :biggrin: