Stay alive

RopeKnight

“It is better to be careful 100 times than to get killed once." (Mark Twain)

What do you all do to keep accident free?

I will talk out loud to myself so that my brain hears what it is thinking.

Creates an audible feedback loop so the mind can walk thru the steps and see any potential dangers, look for options, make a safe plan, commit to memory, and communicate with others etc

They call it Self-Talk and also prepares the mind and body for the climb and actions required similar to what Spiderman does.

Cheers

Edited by RopeKnight

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My work motto is to never get my self into a situation I can't easily get out of...

Very easy to get out your depth and have an accident (body or property) if your in over your head....only when it's safe (i.e. Absolutely nothing to hit!) do I push the envelope..

Mind wise: as an employer, I do all the dicey stuff....I'd rather put myself 'on the line' rather than one of my chaps. They don't get paid that much really.

I just try and be as careful as can be, drills and skills as they say. Quiet concentration and a steely determination to succeed where others have failed usually gets the job done..

I think the most important part would always be straight forward common sense. IMHO you've either got it or you ain't.

At the end of the day an accident...is just that and we all could get caught out.

Be careful be safe, if in real doubt just walk away, it's never worth it...

I do the self talk thing sometimes. Gives the boys on the ground a giggle. Never afraid to ask their opinion either. They can often see something diffrently and offer another opinion/option. Use the old analogy of think twice cut once too.

Ditto. Talk through the cuts more when I'm tired, so that the guys on the ground can comment.

If I get scared or nervous, I normally start singing. What ever comes into my head. Very loud, very high pitched, and most of all, very badly. The ground lads take the mick, I respond with even more annoying songs. Pretty soon you forget why you're scared with all the banter going on.

Erasure - Little Respect works brilliantly.

Team, that is all.

We have had some new guys greenhorns you could say, and I can find that difficult because are plans are brief because we all have worked with each other for long enough to be almost on a telepathic level.

BenR joined us for a few days and had the experience to fit right in, also taught me a. Ew knot which is simple to tie, I like simple.