LogPro - FREE Biomass Firewood Kiln

Duffryn

Please don't think I'm doubting your figures, but down to less than 20% in three days? really?

I would have laughed out loud at the person telling me they could do it, and financially viable as well. Does the wood not "case harden" when dried so quickly, or re-absorb moisture from the air at a much higher rate after it comes out?

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry but all my waste wood I sell for £100 m3. As for 14 tons in under 3 days what is the point in that if your only splitting 7 tonne in 3 days. I worked out a steady manageable production of an IBC container (1.2 m3) per hour therefore 40 IBC containers per week which will fit into one shipping container to give a weekly batch cycle. Simples.

Wow £100 m3 for scrap wood that's amazing - well done you ! Many of our customers cut green logs and store them in IBC's. With the LogPro they can now kiln dry these whenever they wish and especially in the winter if they need to dry to order. I imagine a solar kiln would be totally ineffective in the winter but you will know more than I about this.

Please don't think I'm doubting your figures, but down to less than 20% in three days? really?

I would have laughed out loud at the person telling me they could do it, and financially viable as well. Does the wood not "case harden" when dried so quickly, or re-absorb moisture from the air at a much higher rate after it comes out?

20% in three days - absolutely, tested and proven. What's more we put our money where our mouth is and contractually guarantee performance. If the kiln does not perform as we say it does in the first four weeks of use then the firewood processor may reject the unit, we return the bond in full and pick the kiln up.

As with ANY kiln dried wood, over time if the wood is dried to a lower m/c than the atmosphere it is stored in then yes it will reabsorb mositure

Wow £100 m3 for scrap wood that's amazing - well done you ! Many of our customers cut green logs and store them in IBC's. With the LogPro they can now kiln dry these whenever they wish and especially in the winter if they need to dry to order. I imagine a solar kiln would be totally ineffective in the winter but you will know more than I about this.

If its not split and ready for delivery by the end of October then it has to wait until the end of March to start processing for the following year as I am to busy delivering timber. Solar drying therefore makes sense especially when you can claim the RHI throughout the summer.

If its not split and ready for delivery by the end of October then it has to wait until the end of March to start processing for the following year as I am to busy delivering timber. Solar drying therefore makes sense especially when you can claim the RHI throughout the summer.

This means you have to guess the volume required for the season and cannot react quickly to unexpected demand. Each to their own and by the sounds of your business model the LogPro is not for you.

I reckon that is horses for courses, but if you can finish off part seasoned logs to produce real quality logs for not a lot of cost you could compete in quality and price with imported logs.

With the help of the RHI priming the pump there is also the possibility of reducing the cost of log production which could lead to sensible log prices that can compete with gas and oil rather than a luxury good.

I'd go for it.

I reckon that is horses for courses, but if you can finish off part seasoned logs to produce real quality logs for not a lot of cost you could compete in quality and price with imported logs.

With the help of the RHI priming the pump there is also the possibility of reducing the cost of log production which could lead to sensible log prices that can compete with gas and oil rather than a luxury good.

I'd go for it.

Agreed. You can also improve your cash flow by not having all that cash tied up in 18 months of stock air drying and free up space.

Many of the people who have contacted us about LogPro have been resulting to burning off firewood processor waste and sawdust. Used as a fuel for the kiln you can get kiln dried logs for circa £2 a ton. Better for the environment and as you say, some serious competition for imported logs.