anyone do metal turning???

se7enthdevil

hi there, i was hoping that someone on here has the kit to do some metal turning as i need a screw connection joint made to sit in the middle of a thin staff.

its made of solid brass (which i have) and will hopefully have 10-20 to do if they like the prototype.

here is a picture of the one he brought me.

P1020056.jpg.32ab9b28c4470a5a4207d2698675b7d3.jpg

P1020052.jpg.7f9499a69130f24c3610c13203f7697b.jpg

P1020051.jpg.66c15d962fb4e864aeb2bfc3138a3fa7.jpg

thanks chippy but i've tried the stickman already and he couldn't help me, also there don't seem to be any "local" engineers so i thought i'd ask on here.

timmy c how much would you charge?

i'll send you the brass rod and you can turn a couple for me, the staff is rosewood and i only have enough timber for two so that will be my first order...

the main shank is to be about 3/4" and the overall joint is 4" long but this could be shortened to make more joint from the brass i have.

just thought i'd point out that my customers are masons and don't mind paying for quality.

these staffs are actually called wands and are about 6' tall, they want some posh ones and the rest are more bog standard so for those i purchased some snooker cue jointers but for these posh ones i need this joint thing bespoke made.

thanks to anyone who can help.

Do you mind what thread it is? The thread in the picture is pretty coarse - looks around 0.5" but doesn't quite look like 1/2" Whitworth. It would be much easier to make if a standard thread can be used.

Do you need the detail feature at the other end (the little raised bit)? If so, that's the key diameter to work from.

The originals are plated - looks to be chrome. Do you need to replicate this?

If you get stuck, drop me a PM.

Alec

the new joints are to be brass (no chrome plating) as the staff is to be turned from Indian rosewood and the customer agreed that brass would look better than a silvery finish.

couldn't give a toss as to the thread used as long as it connects...

brass tread can be brazed in to one bit and the other side tapped.

the bead is required for detail though. the current length is 4" but as i already stated it can be a little shorter if it means more can be got out of the bar i purchased, this is what i bought.

Brass Round Bar Rod 7/8" dia x approx 4ft long | eBay