A word to the wise.

Amelanchier

I can't imagine what that did for his street cred or what he thought he was going to say in court.

As long as he joined in the mickey-taking his street cred would have been fine as far as getting battered goes. But it would have gone through the roof if he'd got thousands of pounds out of a suitably indignant lady with more money than him.

There's a reason why these people aren't rocket scientists.

I have said on here before these people are bold and you don't need to get yourself into a situation where you have to try to prove yourself, the best way to try to stop it is to make kit as secure and hard to steal as possible.

Being charged with attempted murder is going to cause a whole load more grief than an insurance claim.

I think we sometimes drop our guard a bit when we have nothing stolen for a few years, and leave kit vulnerable, I know I used to be guilty of that,

For the fear of sounding like a parrot, manufacturers, importers and dealers could help reduce theft if they really wanted to, and insurance companies could force their hand to do it.

Going back to the OP

Confrontation is not recommended, today's thieves come armed, whether it be baseball bats, knives, gun or even a cattle prod. You confront them you are putting yourself in a life and death situation.

I,ve confronted three different gangs, at the time the adrenalin is pumping and you are making split second decisions, sometimes you may make the wrong decision.

I can't go into detail but the first time was a gang of five, they ended up smashing their car up to get out.

My mates a barrister, so the next day I ran my actions past him thinking I had done everything by the law and was shocked to find I could have gone to prison for quite a stretch had they not got away and had been arrested

I didn't realise till the day after and speaking to other people how stupid I had been by putting myself on the front line so to speak, I don't mind admitting, it's scarey shite, but you don't realise just how scarey till after.

Just remember, your life is priceless, your equipment isn't

Set your alarm so it alerts you, phone the police and tell them you are on your way to your yard because of an alarm activation and they should give it a bigger priority. When you get there, let the thieves know you are there by shining headlamps at them or sounding your horn but keep your distance and don't block them in, you cannot rely on the police being there in minutes to back you up.

Last times I rang the police response was 3 hours, 24 hours and believe it or not 3 days

A farmer a mile away from me ran out to confront thieves after his big new JD tractor. He was told in a firm tone to go back indoors or he would be shot. Police response, 15hrs, with the implied use of firearms.

When I was robbed, I launched myself into the fray armed with an axe, red mist took over. I got a strong lecture from the police when they arrived 13hrs later, but that was all. Had I connected with just one thief, I would still be looking out of a cell window.

Another thought, in the dark, you charge out to take them on, but do you know how many there are? What about matey skulking in the shadows to stick you in the back, leave you bleeding to death in the cold rain, for a chainsaw? I wouldn't bother the next time, it's insured and will be replaced.

Going back to the OP

Confrontation is not recommended, today's thieves come armed, whether it be baseball bats, knives, gun or even a cattle prod. You confront them you are putting yourself in a life and death situation.

I,ve confronted three different gangs, at the time the adrenalin is pumping and you are making split second decisions, sometimes you may make the wrong decision.

I can't go into detail but the first time was a gang of five, they ended up smashing their car up to get out.

My mates a barrister, so the next day I ran my actions past him thinking I had done everything by the law and was shocked to find I could have gone to prison for quite a stretch had they not got away and had been arrested

I didn't realise till the day after and speaking to other people how stupid I had been by putting myself on the front line so to speak, I don't mind admitting, it's scarey shite, but you don't realise just how scarey till after.

Just remember, your life is priceless, your equipment isn't

Set your alarm so it alerts you, phone the police and tell them you are on your way to your yard because of an alarm activation and they should give it a bigger priority. When you get there, let the thieves know you are there by shining headlamps at them or sounding your horn but keep your distance and don't block them in, you cannot rely on the police being there in minutes to back you up.

Last times I rang the police response was 3 hours, 24 hours and believe it or not 3 days

Couldn't agree more with this.

Reading through the threads the moral to the story seems to be: Fit decent alarms/padlocks etc and there wont be any need to confront these scum. Totally agree with that:thumbup1:

This. And link the alarm to both your mobile and a local security firm. More chance of them getting there first than Plod, and they often also have direct radio contact with the local officers.

• 1 year later...

We have had several problems in the past. These scum are often high on drugs and will do all possible to avoid being caught and going back to prison so don't care should you be hurt at all. Police are waste of time as take too long to turn up. (Government Funding Reductions)

Insurance doesn't cover all the losses like people think. There are unusual methods to prevent thieves we have used with success some are legal some are not but stealing is ILLEGAL. Time to have all vans marked with a business licence plate (like taxis) to help prevent much of the crime.

Take care!!