Chain not moving when taut.

bluehemisphere

Hi everyone.

This is my first post here. I'm a landscaper who uses his chainsaw rarely. So rarely in fact, I only have an electric chainsaw. Yes, I said the word that's probably banned here.

I only use it for small parts of my job. For real tree work, I call my tree surgeon!

It's a Black & Decker GK2240T.

ANYWAY. I hit a nail in an old fence post I was chopping last week, the saw jammed nicely, so I presumed I'd find bits of nail under the cover and the chain to be all mangled.

But it wasn't. Everything seemed fine. I took the chain off, gave everything a clean. But now the chain won't turn.

The throttle works fine. The drive sprocket spins freely when no chain is attached. And it actually drives the chain when it's really loose.

But as soon as I tighten it to how it should be, I can't even move the chain along by hand. And when throttling, the motor will run, but it won't engage the drive sprocket enough to turn the chain.

I've looked at the bar, and it doesn't appear bent (by eye). The nose sprocket turns freely. I've cleaned out the groove in the bar, and it doesn't look pinched anywhere. The chain doesn't look visibly damaged as far as I can see (but besides the blades being blunt etc I don't really know what to look for)

Any advice? If I can't move the chain by hand when tight, does that say something obvious?

Do I need a new chain?

New bar?

Any help would be much appreciated. And I know that by default, having an electric saw makes me a bit of a joke here, but I humbly and honestly look up to you guys for your expertise.

Thanks in advance.

Jon

Electric saws have there place, and as an occasional user I guess it makes sense to have one. You don't have to worry about diaphragms perishing, fuel going off etc. and you saved your soul from eternal damnation by employing a tree surgeon for proper tree work.

Re: the above advice, stuff I would check first. I don't know how strong the drive would be on a B&D saw, maybe the sudden stop has wrung something internally, worse case scenario.

run the chain in the bar off the saw.

a vice makes this easier to hold the bar. but the chain should run along it easily. if it doesnt its either the bar or the chain, check the bar is straight, and the rails are ok, if there us a nise sprocket check this rotates easily.

then look at the chain, are the drive links all good, as said is there a tight spot on the chain that is not moving freely on the rivits?>??