2nd jobs

WillTimberlake

They won't see them from the picket line, unless the fire is across the road.

If they are striking, they put people at risk, no ifs, no buts, really annoys me when they strike but claim no one is in danger, its nonsense!!

Huck, ask some firemen how it actually works.

I'm not in favour of any industrial action btw, but I do feel sorry for the lads who have been in a long time and have been shafted. They do pay a lot into their pension schemes.

Fire Brigade cuts are a joke though. My mates farm house burnt to the ground because of the long response time, luckily he got his 3 kids out.

As for the new boys, in any job, if you don't like it don't do it.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking as a full time fireman,part time tree surgeon and striking union member,I am well aware of the contradictions that are apparent. Many tree surgeons complain about being undercut by cowboys who are unqualified,no ppe etc so the next logical step to avoid this would be to form a trade association or a union to regulate and control the industry to avoid unsafe practice and ensure a fair price yes?

Exactly what firemen did, yes our strike is with the government not the public that is why discussions went on for nearly two years prior to any strike action!

For me it's simple I just want the deal I was promised when I signed up,only fair really,to use the mortgage analogy trying telling your bank/ building society that after agreeing to pay for 25 yrs,you now are only paying for 20 and see what they say!

As for anyone doing second jobs,what's the problem,where do we stop telling people what they can and can't do,we never used to do jobs on a Saturday then people did to earn a bit more than the next man and so on and so on,shall we all stop our wives working therefore reducing the supply of labour and driving up wages,sure that will work . The fact is there is always someone who will do it cheaper whatever it is you do and without overburdening regulation you can't stop it and even then probably not.

Forgot what I was on about now,anyway get what you can when you can,make hay while the sun shines,don't sell umbrellas in the desert and all that

Cheers Steve free lance climbing slag

I thankyou

During the winter i do two days a week loading on a big commercial game shoot.Not megabucks by any standards, but sometimes theres tips and if i use my truck to move us about between drives the others give me a fiver each.

I get a fair bit of work through it as its networking and often meeting various people which is a big plus.Wouldnt mind a bit of part time keepering which i could fit in quite nicely.

Speaking as a full time fireman,part time tree surgeon and striking union member,I am well aware of the contradictions that are apparent. Many tree surgeons complain about being undercut by cowboys who are unqualified,no ppe etc so the next logical step to avoid this would be to form a trade association or a union to regulate and control the industry to avoid unsafe practice and ensure a fair price yes?

Exactly what firemen did, yes our strike is with the government not the public that is why discussions went on for nearly two years prior to any strike action!

For me it's simple I just want the deal I was promised when I signed up,only fair really,to use the mortgage analogy trying telling your bank/ building society that after agreeing to pay for 25 yrs,you now are only paying for 20 and see what they say!

As for anyone doing second jobs,what's the problem,where do we stop telling people what they can and can't do,we never used to do jobs on a Saturday then people did to earn a bit more than the next man and so on and so on,shall we all stop our wives working therefore reducing the supply of labour and driving up wages,sure that will work . The fact is there is always someone who will do it cheaper whatever it is you do and without overburdening regulation you can't stop it and even then probably not.

Forgot what I was on about now,anyway get what you can when you can,make hay while the sun shines,don't sell umbrellas in the desert and all that

Cheers Steve free lance climbing slag

I thankyou

As a P.A.Y.E worker my final salary pension scheme has been scrapped. My pension is now worth half of what it was. I will have to work longer than I had previously planned and hoped for. The bank has changed my mortgage and the cost of living has gone up.

I am one of millions of workers that pay considerable sums of money into this country via P.A.Y.E taxes, I do not have the option of being tax efficient. I also don't have the luxury of a second job as 1. It's written into my contract and 2. I have to work long hours as there is a queue of people waiting to jump into my shoes.

Life has changed, the worlds economy went bang and everyone is paying the price. Everyone wants what they previously had but only those working for the government will stand a chance of getting it. If they do, then the millions of P.A.Y.E workers will have to pay more to fund it.

Good luck with turning back the clock.

As a P.A.Y.E worker my final salary pension scheme has been scrapped. My pension is now worth half of what it was. I will have to work longer than I had previously planned and hoped for. The bank has changed my mortgage and the cost of living has gone up.

I am one of millions of workers that pay considerable sums of money into this country via P.A.Y.E taxes, I do not have the option of being tax efficient. I also don't have the luxury of a second job as 1. It's written into my contract and 2. I have to work long hours as there is a queue of people waiting to jump into my shoes.

Life has changed, the worlds economy went bang and everyone is paying the price. Everyone wants what they previously had but only those working for the government will stand a chance of getting it. If they do, then the millions of P.A.Y.E workers will have to pay more to fund it.

:congrats::congrats::congrats::congrats:

Are firefighters own families in less danger than yours during strikes? Tories are masters of divide and conquer and they are trying it again.

Not enough people in this country have half a brain. They are busy bickering amongst each other while the government steams ahead with a £51,000,000,000 project for a new railway. Who does the railway benefit? You guessed it, rich folks who want to get richer.

Why should you or me pay for others mistakes in the financial sector?

I posted an article on facebook outlining the truth behind what the dispute with the fire service is about. Within 5 days it had been shared in support of the firefighters 193,000 times.

Anyone who does not know the FULL facts behind the dispute cannot even comment.

Hows that for a thread de-rail ha ha ha.

Edited by adbat234

Are firefighters own families in less danger than yours during strikes? Tories are masters of divide and conquer and they are trying it again.

Not enough people in this country have half a brain. They are busy bickering amongst each other while the government steams ahead with a £51,000,000,000 project for a new railway. Who does the railway benefit? You guessed it, rich folks who want to get richer.

Why should you or me pay for others mistakes in the financial sector?

I posted an article on facebook outlining the truth behind what the dispute with the fire service is about. Within 5 days it had been shared in support of the firefighters 193,000 times.

Anyone who does not know the FULL facts behind the dispute cannot even comment.

Hows that for a thread de-rail ha ha ha.

Just read your face book post I think, puts it into perspective, it's much easier to pick on people in unions or on benefits than it is to take on the huge waste/corruption/shafting going on with our government . The workers/ poor ALWAYS get the blame

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

I also have lost the entitlements you have and face working longer and yes the price of living has gone up for everyone but why can we not fight that? If it was the tree cutting business that went bump would that have been bailed out,no don't think so,why were these private firms(banks) given tax payers money for being rubbish at business? That I what we are paying for and the massive overspend of the last labour government, it is not my little pension that is costing millions plus if things are so dire how can mp's afford to pay themselves 11% more this year,look at what the government really spends money on,look at what it gives to people who do nothing,look at their vanity projects like the Olympics ,the dome( remember that one), hs2, who is making money at of these? Not me,look at MP's pensions,bankers bonus',local authority leaders pensions,fire chiefs pensions,NHS managers pensions ( not an exhaustive list ) why is always me and you that foot the bill?

Viva la revolution!

I thank you

Just read your face book post I think, puts it into perspective, it's much easier to pick on people in unions or on benefits than it is to take on the huge waste/corruption/shafting going on with our government . The workers/ poor ALWAYS get the blame

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Fully agree. Why did we give £8.3 billion pounds away in foreign aid last year when we are skint. I agree with giving money to the needy (I give £20 to charity every month by direct debit). But some of the countries we are giving hundreds of millions to are running space programs ffs.

And don't even get me started on tax dodging google, starbucks etc.....

Close the loopholes and there is all of a sudden a massive amount of money pouring into the coffers to pay pensions.

The FBU should be admired for standing up and saying no.

But the government loves the "We are all in this together" Brigade who are brainwashed by mainstream media into thinking its something we just have to take.

What we actually need is more unions to say no, we are not having any more of this.

Failing that roll over and vote tory at the next election.:lol: