Husqvarna 357XP Good ground saw choice?

HoneyMonster

Hello all.

I've been a lurking for a while now enjoying the various posts and threads that come up on the forum but know I wish to ask the class for advice.

I come from a forestry and arb back ground starting started as a wood chopper with a tidy old Stilh couldn't tell you what it was but it was a beast of a thing, then got a job as a grounds man and worked up to climber. The thing is a left that work behind me a near 7years ago and have been a house bitch for nearly 2 years of that looking after my two boys, I digress......

Anyways, I'm getting back into the forestry side of business after Christmas and I need a new ground saw. Before I toasted it I was playing with a Husqvarna 357XP, some might say a slightly heavy saw for all day work. But I found it a good all around felling, brashing, logging ground saw, to be fair it was bullet proof (expect when you use incorrectly mixed fuel, life lesson never leave a noobie unattended to mix fuel). Now I'm I looking at this though rose tinted glasses? Is there a better choice of saw? Something comparable to the 357XP? What is a good price to be paying for 357XP? Can you tell I would quiet like another 357? Sorry to be so greedy on my first post, but I would like to exploit the knowledge and know how of the group to its full.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Howdy my tuppence worth is:

I bought both my 357's for around £300..

Both seam strong saws and are used hard (and often put away wet...)

IMHO Great saws...but be careful on which one you buy..must be super clean and have original plastics...

A comparable new version is the 560xp or Stihl version is the 362 (have heard the old 361 was much better!)

I plan to buy the 550 and 560 when my 357's pack up..

Oh I may add I only use the 357 with 15" bars....fast cutting

Hope that helps...a decent second hand one will be hard to find and if you've the money a 'new' saw will last longer and take more abuse with less break downs and maintenance. :)

I use 357s. But if I use them for long periods I get dead arm in the night and it keeps me awake. I looked at the vibration calculator on the Husky website, they are not recommended for long days of use. However the smaller 346xp is much better in this regard and most limbs and branches are well within its scope. I run 346's on 13 inch bars and the 357's on 15 inch.

Both these saws are well suited to modifying with "Porting" Look it up in the toolbar, lots on here about it. Im getting a 346 done by Spud (Frequently found on this thread http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/chainsaws/33857-whats-your-bench-today.html) This brings the performance up to similar spec to the 550xp and 560xp I understand.

If you plan on doing saw work in colder weather, I recommend the xpg versions with heated handles. It keeps you warm in the extremities of the fingers, which reduces vibration troubles.

If you hawkeye ebay and know what you are looking for i.e not a dud. You can get them for £200- £300 either the 346 or 357. I have bought 2 346's and a 357 this year. But of late they seem to have gone up.

346xp/g's with silver side are newer models with primer bulb and a little more power.

As for a stihl I cannot recommend a saw as I never use one. But someone will know.

You don't have your location in your avatar, but gumtree in some areas get ads sometimes for saws.:001_smile:

I have a 357, good saws, as you said, almost bomb proof, picked it up for a drink at the local dealer (seized), the alternative now is the 560xp, it's lighter, faster and more powerful.

If you want a 357, eBay is generally the only place now

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

:thumbup: I love this place! It's refreshing to see I'm not the only night owl. Lol.

Well thanks guys, some interesting posts raised, have to admit I'm a little weary of second hand saw off ebay. I know how hard I and my mates used to use and abuse the saws and how easy it can be to make them cosmetically sound. I must admit Goaty you raise a good point about vibration issue, which is something I hadn't really considered so thanks for pointing this out. I also have to Amit I have never herd of "Porting" but I will check it out (child care permitting, started this reply nearly two hr ago). It also very interesting both yourself and the theflyingscotsman both recommend the 550 and 560 think this also requires further investigation.

Well thanks agin guys for your input, much appreciated.

:biggrin:

Thanks Eddy_t, everyone seems to be in agreement that the 550 and 560 are god alternatives.

Could you recommend a good place to pick said saw? Everyone seems to be in agreement that the 550 and 560 are god alternatives. I'm based in Lancashire but I'll be working in the West Midlands, based near Leominster but with family near Worcester.

Ok nice one. Must admit that's where I'm struggling, being new to the area I'm not sure of local dealer locations in Leominster area. I did use to use a really good guy in the Forest of Dean but he's not there anymore. I already checked. But I will check out F R Jones for sure, thanks again.