Bringing a chainsaw back from the usa

The handyman

Checked baggage (as in checked-in, in the hold) is fine.

This is how it would be sent if you used a courier. Most commercial flights carry parcels as cargo. Ive sent engines all over Europe and never had a problem. Only problem ive had was with a uk courier carrying a saw around the uk.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

911 simply means you won't be able to take it as cabin baggage. Checked baggage (as in checked-in, in the hold) is fine. Hell, if you've got the permits, you can put a gun in checked baggage even.

Only if you're stood next to a bloke with a moustache, and then the woman at the check in still asks you if you have any of the items on the list with you. Well erm maybe that's why he's stood next to me, to check it in..........

Cargo and checked baggage are two entirely different things. Many, if not all passenger airlines that handle baggage have a separate cargo department. They both also are subject to different rules and regulations. Contact your airline to avoid any problems.

• 4 weeks later...

Every time I visit the States I bring a new Stihl saw back.I fly with Virgin Airlines and checked with them prior to purchasing.No problem if the saw is new,ie no fule or oil.I tell the selling agent that I do not want it testing or assembling so no fuel ever put into it.I then remove bar and chain and bring home in checked in luggage,ie in hold of plane.Only problem I have ever had is with regards to warranty work recently,the coil pack on my Ms290 went down.Stihl US warranty is the same as UK,but local dealer said that as saw was not CE marked he could not touch it.After much ranting at him he eventualy agrred to fix it under warranty.

Just bought a Husky back in its original box plus the box Amazon shipped it in. No issues with United Airlines and the TSA didn't even open the box to inspect it. If you're thinking of doing the same check with your airline first - some are more restrictive than others about petrol powered tools and may go beyond the TSA's restrictions.

It's made in the US and UL listed rather than CE marked and presumably not tested but at £190 rather than the typical UK price of £350 I'm happy with that.