VOLUNTARY WORK Public Liability.

KORNSTER

Hi,

I am starting a job next week helping with clearing trees to reinstate an old flower meadow. The work site will be adjacent to a cycle path, but most of the felling will be a safe distance away - but a few taller trees may need to come down and may be in reach of the path.

A good site risk assessment has been done and we have plenty of good help. The job will take some time - working the odd day when all volunteers are availalble. It's a lot of work.

The voluntary group I am working for need someone to assist with a licence felling trees. I have a Lantra Maintenance, Cross cutting and tree felling up to 380mm license. And of course, all of the required PPE and equipment.

The local council have requested that only licensed operatives (me) are used and Public Liability insurance has to be provided (by me).

I'm ready to help and work, just need some advice re this situation and the insurance required.

This IS voluntary work. My main job is electric/mechanical maintenance, so I only need to cover my ass for this situation.

Thanks in advance for any advice!!

I'm insured by Tree Surgeon Insurance. They advertise on this site and are a very friendly bunch. Give them a ring or one of the others on here. I assume you only need to be insured for a few days which they might be able to do.

I just called them about PI cover after reading your post. Having not spoken with any companies yet and at point of needing to buy a policy, the guy I spoke with was massively helpful so I'm awaiting a price :thumbup1:

read your post and council is mentioned. i work for local councils and the county say that it has to be 10mil PL liability insurance to do work.

as its a volentry post you are doing. are those who are doing the work not able to get the funding to have those doing volenteer work insured.

they should have the insurance to cover there backs in case of a acident.

not cheap 10mil mine was around £500 for year and thats not felling as you wish to do but felling when coppicing in woods so no joe public around.

i would double check who you are doing the work for could be a minefield.

Thanks for your advice. The voluntary group I am going to work for do not have insurance. They are a group of concerned residents in a small village. They have permission to carry out the work, but the council don't want to fund the endeavour.

I'm happy to work for free. I'll try the mentioned companies and see if they can offer short term cover for each outing.

Voluntary work and ins is an absolute nightmare.

As it's voluntary there is some aspect of hurt yourself and it's you fault. But hurt someone else and it's game over.

There are so many restrictions and red tape in place you will get a huge headache. As the lifeboat is voluntary we do have ins, and as voluntary it does mean we can get anyone off the street to come and go out on a shout if we don't have enough. Anyone can take command of the boat aswell. But this all comes at a price.

Sort out ins and say you are volunteering and the cost will go way up. Just the way it is.

Good luck and would be interesting to hear the results.

might be worth asking a few departments in the council to see if you can come under their insurance. I've found in the past it's a case of finding the right people to ask. They've got no money at the moment so if the countryside department can produce some community engagement results for nowt it may be a winner.