l200 1998 rapeseed oil anyone done this

carlos119

A good place to ask is here, but I assume you are talking about UVO, virgin rapeseed is not that much cheaper than derv, certainly not cheap enough to warrant damaging very expensive pumps and injectors imo, this time of year you would want to use not much mixed with derv as the stuff is fairly thick in the winter.

If you are going to be using UVO then you would be wise to set up a dewatering and filtering setup to clean it up before using it, some of the used stuff is really nasty.

We used to run a couple of tractors on UVO/derv mix at 60/40 ratio in the summer but that was in Same tractors which are designed to run on the stuff, we also tried 50/50 in a deutz powered irrigation pump and over time it caused problems with gumming up, the carbon in the exhaust was like a glue/paste.

i used to run my Landy 300 tdi on it but only in the summer as in the winter the oil got a bit thicker and i struggled to get the engine to start. i found it was best to heat the oil first as when it cools it is alot thinner. then mix it 50/50 with deisel i stopped doing it when the oil got almost as expensive as the fule. its also a bit smokey and smelly.

Cheers for the replys guy. Im a km and Tree surgeon on my days off so I can get fresh 100% rapeseed straight off the delivery and what uvo and derv scraggs? Sorry someone said I could run it so I grabbed some oil ready to put it in but then hs started saying about premixing, and now I don't know wwhether to do it or not

Cheers for the replys guy. Im a km and Tree surgeon on my days off so I can get fresh 100% rapeseed straight off the delivery and what uvo and derv scraggs? Sorry someone said I could run it so I grabbed some oil ready to put it in but then hs started saying about premixing, and now I don't know wwhether to do it or not

UVO = used veg oil

Derv = diesel

Not an engine I would want to run it on without some serious research.

Best method is to have 2 tanks, Have your standard fuel tank for UVO or SVO (rapeseed) then have another smaller tank for diesel.

Start truck on the reg diesel and when engine is warm switch it over to your choice of oil. When your 5 mins from home on the last trip of the day switch it back to diesel to "flush" out the fuel lines, injector/s. this will enable an easy start the following morning.

This forum is good for info on doing this - Vegetable Oil Diesel Forum - Index

Kits are available to fit most vehicles.