Yew Hedge??

Luke Quenby

As the title suggests, got a Yew hedge that was once upon a time (50+ years ago) clipped and shaped nicely in some old pics I've seen.

Many years of neglect means I've basically inherited the 'skeleton' of where it was regularly cut and tall spindly regrowth about 4 - 10" in diameter and around 15 - 20' high.

I've removed all the dead, and am now contemplating what to do for the best next. I've started planting various hedging plants below, but these are obviously going to struggle for light to get going.

The master plan is to eventually turn the area next to it into a wild flower / wild area, so I need some more light and want to manage the hedge better for diversity and wildlife.

I'm wondering if laying it and gapping up is feasible? Never seen or heard of a Yew hedge being layed before, so all opinions welcome! Cheers.:001_smile:

Thanks for that Alec, encouraging, I hadn't seen this thread, not been on for some time.

I've no doubt to the re-generative properties of Yew, and have given some severe treatment over the years for them to flourish like the pictures David put up, so am not worried in that sense, but am interested to know if anyone has ever layed a Yew hedge before. I will try and post some pics to see if that sheds some light.

As for the Oaks, long term work in progress! Your not forgotten! Did you ever get any pics of milling the big lump up?

Thought I hadn't seen you on here lately - I can't see any particular reason why you couldn't lay yew but I've not see any done:confused1:

The oak is sitting in lumps in the entrance to my field where it got craned off - it was too late in the year to risk it so funnily enough I started on it last weekend. I will take some pics of what I've done so far, although it's not the interesting bit. I await the outcome of your oak plan with interest if it turns out to be brown.....:001_smile:

Alec

i will wait for one of the other cutters to comment never laid yew but should lay only thing can not lay is box and elder. be interesting to have a go if its as big as you say pleaches will need to be long to avoid splitting. i would think it would be similar to thorn. its being a evergreen if it would stand being laid. i wait to find out myself

That's what I was thinking about the long pleachers, and Yew's pliability should be a help. Hoping someone who has tackled something like this maybe able to comment on their experience?

I've done my share of hedge laying over the years, and love it, but never taken on a Yew hedge like this. Its not a particularly long run and is pretty gappy, but to let the other hedge plants, flowers and the Yew hedge itself thrive it needs something doing to it!

IMG_0055.jpg.13f3e9a88dc2ad277d00ebb5cbed994a.jpg

IMG_0052.jpg.1e646bdc1cc1652ce51b1ba3b6f96f89.jpg

Nope, its west facing and shading itself out. There's a few ash trees nearby, but nothing dramatic. The mess to the top left of the pictures is the start of the woodland / mature yew trees.

I'm not to worried about it looking 'proper' and the definition of proper varies greatly but I'm certainly not after manicured, just a bit more managed!

Should have mentioned the pictures were taken a couple of years ago, I've taken all the dead base out now, and reduced / pollarded / removed some of the self set Ash and H. Chestnut close by.

Edited by Luke Quenby
forgot the useful bits

That's what I was thinking about the long pleachers, and Yew's pliability should be a help. Hoping someone who has tackled something like this maybe able to comment on their experience?

I've done my share of hedge laying over the years, and love it, but never taken on a Yew hedge like this. Its not a particularly long run and is pretty gappy, but to let the other hedge plants, flowers and the Yew hedge itself thrive it needs something doing to it!

give it a go just have your pleaches about 18inches two foot. and a good side axe over chainsaw will go with grain unlike chainsaw againts grain.

i have a chainsaw but use my axes majority of the time just use saw for cutting back of pleaches off and clearing what is not needed.find it as quick if not quicker and have more control. let us know how you get on be very interested in results

give it a go just have your pleaches about 18inches two foot. and a good side axe over chainsaw will go with grain unlike chainsaw againts grain.

i have a chainsaw but use my axes majority of the time just use saw for cutting back of pleaches off and clearing what is not needed.find it as quick if not quicker and have more control. let us know how you get on be very interested in results

Sounds a plan, I should be getting the binders and stakes in the next week or so and would hope to get started over Christmas, but have lots on so more likely first couple of weeks of January. Shall post pics when done!