powered pole pruner within the canopy??

elicokiz

Andy,

I can see where you're coming from, and have heard that old argument before, but there are many pro climbers who'll take a Silky/Jameson polesaw up into the tree now and again for certain jobs, it's called being efficient.

Every few years we take out hazard deadwood from this Lime and other similar trees round this communal garden, the polesaw will always be sitting there handy on the deck ready to be sent up if needed.

This isn't because the climber can't reach the ends of the branches it's because a good climber will spot an opportunity to use a polesaw that'll save him time and energy ie, being able to reach the branch above and below the one you're standing on to knock out a few bits of dead.

Agreed.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those that can only read half way, as above, so no apology due, and I did re-iterate this in my last post. See, laziness is rife, and a sad human trait. :001_rolleyes:

Hi Andy, was trawling youtube and wondered what your opinion was on this:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sM7FrA9UGZU]Matt Glen's Swiss Work Climb. - YouTube[/ame]

Competition work climb, with the use of a silky pole saw...

How so Adam?

This thread has me split into two minds. One is of the efficiency argument. On the other hand I'm still learning and would love to be able to reach any bit of any tree without needing a silky pole.

I appreciate there's a fine line to be drawn here. And once you start using a pole silky it can cause a slippery slope to laziness, but I think its a bit closed minded to say never.

For the record I'm not talking about a powered pole saw, in any of my posts.

For those that can only read half way, as above, so no apology due, and I did re-iterate this in my last post. See, laziness is rife, and a sad human trait. :001_rolleyes:

Laziness is rife and a sad human trait , I think not. Do you speak from experience ?

Everyone is different and every climber has his or her traits . If a climber so desires to use a silky pole pruner within the canopy so be it . Its a tool to use as however the operator sees fit . As long as its in a safe and controlled manner .