powered pole pruner within the canopy??

elicokiz

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the top climbers hereabouts,and a fellow arbtalker, helped me out couple of weeks ago,he asked for my pole saw to be sent up on one occasion,as he couldnt get a safe anchor in 1 of the pines to remove a branch that the customer insisted be removed.

Nothing wrong with that in my humble.

Yup I don't have a problem using it ;)

I don't see the problem but like every tool it all depends how you use it and when!

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

So if a not so good climber got the job done quicker to the same standard, is this laziness :confused1:

Yes, it's a laziness of attitude, "that'll do". How is the climber ever going to improve and become a better climber by standing in a lower position and working around the tree with a pole saw? He may as well just hack the limbs off where he can reach them. And, the standard of work reached with pole chainsaw will never be of the same standard as that of a climber making the extra effort. Cuts will be raggedy, not to growth points, and generally less accurate. If climbers want to earn top money, they need to learn to do a top job.

Does that apply for deadwoods Andy?

I see your point, and hope that by pushing myself I can achieve the level of talent that has been spoken of, but on some occasions stubbornly struggling where the right tool could save you could be more time efficient, less physically taxing and possibly safer. I'm referring to the type of dead twig that would take secateurs to snip, and for myself, couldn't be reached without snapping a branch.

I have been asked to carry out such deadwoods on rare occasions. I couldn't have without a pole saw.

I agree with that Andy.

We've all seen 'reductions' done with pole pruners....

Andy you seem to have built an image in your head of someone using it to do shoddy work:001_rolleyes:

I've done work in large crowns where the tree has been butchered by our little grey tree rats, I would need to have an anchor point about 4" thick to get out to some points that are dead to avoid BT lines and fences.

Storm damage as well .

I simply bring up the pole saw, use it to get the tricky stuff, send it down or jam it up, use my top handle to take the remaining limb/ branch and move on!

Our trees on the west coast here are very different from a lot of trees I see down in Rural England where they have room to grow.

Most of my work is on neglected coppice on steep bankings or dead elms that are like powder!

As Andy Dupane said to the Governer of Shawshank, your being very Obtuse:001_tt2: