powered pole pruner within the canopy??

elicokiz

I just find them a right royal pain in the proverbial. Prefer to use my pole saw (AUS) if I can't reach for some reason. Trying to use a powered pole saw in tree just ends up tying me in knots plus the strain in my shoulders not only lifting it but untangling it and feeding it through gaps etc. just not worth the hassle for me so far.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saying that EVERY bit of dead on ANY tree can be reached by climbing is a pretty bold statement.

As you know, I used to ground for Steve, and I can vouch for his claims, and most other climbers I've worked with would be at this standard. In general, it's either laziness or inability that prevents a climber getting out there to the tippy tips.

I'm not saying its impossible to deadwood most trees for a good climber, but saying every bit of deadwood (including crazy-spec 5mm dia stuff) is reachable in every tree is just wrong.

It's incorrect, dangerous, ludicrous, immoral, unwise, unhealthy, blasphemous, irresponsible, ridiculous, insane, inconsiderate and against all laws of physics and nature.

I've very occasionally used one in a tree, once for a tip reduction on one top limb of a cedar and another time when I had to section fell a horribly leaning, spindly pine where the top few meters were more or less horizontal. I felt the pole saw was defo the safest bet to nip away the end weight before I could properly chog it down.

As for deadwooding, I'll often use poles with the hook on to twist off small bits at the extremities and if they don't easily snap off then they are just not a concern normally.

I'm not saying its impossible to deadwood most trees for a good climber, but saying every bit of deadwood (including crazy-spec 5mm dia stuff) is reachable in every tree is just wrong.

It's incorrect, dangerous, ludicrous, immoral, unwise, unhealthy, blasphemous, irresponsible, ridiculous, insane, inconsiderate and against all laws of physics and nature.

You forgot "humiliating" to us climbers that are below said standard :P

One of the top climbers hereabouts,and a fellow arbtalker, helped me out couple of weeks ago,he asked for my pole saw to be sent up on one occasion,as he couldnt get a safe anchor in 1 of the pines to remove a branch that the customer insisted be removed.

Nothing wrong with that in my humble.

Edited by oldwoodcutter