ICOP Tree Work at Height - calls for expression of interest

AA Teccie (Paul)

Hi all,

The AA are commissioning the production of an industry specific code of practice for tree work at height (kinda like IRATA equivalent for rope access) and are looking for both an external author and peer reviewers.

If this is of interest please see the attached.

Thanks all..

Paul

aa_icop_call_for_expressions_of_interest.docx

Hi Paul,

A Code of Practice of this nature is an excellent idea. Improving levels of knowledge and safety standards in any industry is always a good thing and will benefit everyone in the arb industry. The IRATA route is well established worldwide and has incredibly high standards and an enviable safety record.

HSE have a very high regard for IRATA because of the above mentioned points.

Having trained and worked in this area, I can't recommend it highly enough. Looking forward to see how it developes, all the best with it.

Regards,

Jamie

Hi Paul,

A Code of Practice of this nature is an excellent idea. Improving levels of knowledge and safety standards in any industry is always a good thing and will benefit everyone in the arb industry. The IRATA route is well established worldwide and has incredibly high standards and an enviable safety record.

HSE have a very high regard for IRATA because of the above mentioned points.

Having trained and worked in this area, I can't recommend it highly enough. Looking forward to see how it developes, all the best with it.

Regards,

Jamie

Hi Jamie, apologies for my delay in replying here.

Thanks for your words of acknowledgement and support, much appreciated.

I will keep the forum posted as things progress.

Thanks again.

Cheers..

Paul

Hi Paul

any interest expressed via Pm's ?

Nope...well not yet anyway.:001_huh:

Through previous inputs and comments from various industry based sources we have developed a list of invitees but protocol dictates we should advertise it widely as there are other people out there who are equally capable but not on our radar. Hence the post here on 'THE' industry forum. :thumbup1:

Cheers..

Paul

Hmmm, odd that there's such a deafing hush of response to an area that usually provokes warm debate.

I'm sure myself & the HH team would be happy to assist in the review process where we can.

Lets hope others step up also :thumbup1:

Come on Arbtalkers this is 'your' oportunity to get involved with 'our' industry in a process that is likely to effect the majority of us in one way or another.

step.jpg.54fe7e95ca2a0736eff7e0b3785a7378.jpg

Hmmm, odd that there's such a deafing hush of response to an area that usually provokes warm debate.

I'm sure myself & the HH team would be happy to assist in the review process where we can.

Lets hope others step up also :thumbup1:

Come on Arbtalkers this is 'your' oportunity to get involved with 'our' industry in a process that is likely to effect the majority of us in one way or another.

Most folk will just be getting back from work. I'm interested to get involved to a certain extent

Call for Expressions of Interest

Industry Code of Practice for Tree Work at Height

Authoring and Peer Review

The Industry Code of Practice for Tree Work at Height (ICOP) will set out the key principles, policies, planning and control of tree work at height and will be written for those engaged in managing aerial tree work. The ICOP will provide detailed guidance on a wide range of topics including standards, legislation, competencies, equipment, inspection, access and work systems.

Process

The AA has now secured funding to commission the project and invites expressions of interest to tender for the authoring and/or peer reviewing of the ICOP document.

Interested parties will be provided with a Framework Scoping Document which provides a more detailed description of the project requirements and will help prospective authors to tender for the work.

The final stage will be to agree a contract with our preferred author and to identify a small group of technical peer reviewers.

Next Steps

Please forward your expression of interest only at this stage to Simon Richmond, Senior Technical Officer at [email protected] indicating your interest in either or both of the following:

1. To tender for the contract with the Arboricultural Association to produce the ICOP.

2. To offer technical advice and support for the production of the ICOP through peer review, on a paid but ad hoc basis.

Expressions of interest must be received by 20 December 2013

Hiya Paul,

Could you go into more detail on what the reviewer criteria would be in term of experience and knowledge etc? I can't open the link - due to my computer

Hi 'Lancstree', thanks for your interest.

I have copied the document link in a post below, hopefully this helps.

The reviewer criteria, I would suggest, would be someone industry based with a good knowledge of the legislation and industry good practice aspects of treework at height, ideally both as a practitioner and a manager. However it is acknowledged that both aspects may be individually provided by different people.

I guess what needs to be borne in mind, at least in part, is that this document is not, for example, a review of the Guide to Good Climbing Practice, i.e. an industry technical guide (review/production of which will come later,) but a high level management document, akin to the IRATA CoP (see Industrial Rope Access Trade Association ), which will cover legislation, regulation, risk assessments, safe systems of work etc. etc.

Hoping this helps but please don't hesitate to contact Simon also as he is project manager for this.

Cheers..

Paul