Ms181

Brownlie1985

Hi guys, just bought a ms181 with 14" bar, are there any issues I should watch for on this type of saw ?

Only put around a gallon through it so far and seems to be doing ok for a non pro saw. Lack of "pro" grunt due to engine size but not bad for ground work / limbing.

Certainly better than Chinese saw and Stihl 009 non AV! I was using previously.!

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

uploadfromtaptalk1386409079283.jpg.f557dfc7bc642f1938669f1321cc7936.jpg

Its a good little ground saw, but you have to be quite gentle to get all the power. One issue they do get after prolonged use is the choke switch can pop out from the housing clips but easily put back in by removing the cover. I've had a 170 since 2006 I use regularly for snedding, logs & carving.

Its a good little ground saw, but you have to be quite gentle to get all the power. One issue they do get after prolonged use is the choke switch can pop out from the housing clips but easily put back in by removing the cover. I've had a 170 since 2006 I use regularly for snedding, logs & carving.

What he said. The choke bar will also break. It breaks on the white plastic part so need a new casing to replace it.

But, a few people have used some welding wire and small holes to hold the bar in place.

They are good little saws, and I reckon have a fair bit of grunt for there size.

Use a 12" 1.1mm gauge bar to maximise the power from the engine.

Choke parts as mentioned will wear out. Flog it on eBay after a year's abuse for £140 and buy a new one for £210.

Or buy a Husqvarna 135 for £30 less :laugh1: A friend of mine has had his MS181 for a couple of years now and it is getting a bit reluctant to start from cold but it is a good saw and starts and runs fine once up and running.

It is a cheaply built "homeowner" class saw, that is totally unsuitable for such use - but each to their own.... :eviltongue:

I'm sure he means for use as a chipper saw- to sever unions and the like. It's ideal for that, especially at the price and residual value. Nice and light too, for as Horatio will tell you, they need to conserve all the energy they can for the mad dash to the chipper and back! :lol:

Plus being in that role it's the most likely to be nicked.

I'm with Eagle- I love mine for the profit it makes. :thumbup1: