What did you buy to ease back ache processing fiewood

cessna

The thing that saved our backs the most was a homemade log deck which we could make into a big table. We used to ring 5-10 tonnes of timber then scoop them up with the bobcat bucket. The table had gaps to let the bark and dirt fall through. We then parked the vertical splitter next to it and dragged the rings on with a hookeroon. I would spend 4k on loading shovel and some forks for it. I would pay someone to help you as steve says the job is easier with two especially big rings. If your worried about chainsaw side get them on the splitter while you ring up and load.

HI CESSNA sorry to but i would keep your £25k you have spend less on a good a tractor loader just small that all you need and a good splitter mate as standing in some post on here are £50 ton plus for hard is it worth it spending £25k only you no that all the best with it jon :thumbup:

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am wishing to try and take some of the strain off my back while processing firewood,as like many of you our back is my weakest point!!

I have a firewood processor,hycrack splitter for real knotty wood and a 75hp tractor with front end loader. Like the rest of you, wood I buy in is any thing from 2"inches round to 2ft round so much chainsaw work involved.

As a 62yr old one man band how would you suggest making things easier???

I know you young smart guys will say retire:thumbup:

Serious suggestions please,£25,000 would be max I would want to try and borrow to make life bearable to over 65.

In a similar position and age.

I am looking at upgrading to a hydraulic machine with a hydraulic loading rack. Load the rack with the loader, then hang bags on the loader under the outlet elevator. Some machines can run off a 3 phase electric, otherwise you will need a tractor to lift/power it. If looking at using electric make sure the motor is high up out of the way of the sawdust.

Bigger stuff then a Posch 20 ton horizontal splitter, that has a self load facility and will create smaller billets that can then be fed through a processor.

A

The best back saving device we found was to hire a local 360 driver and his 3 tonne machine.

He has a grab on on it, which is great for moving lengths of timber or holding it off the ground to be cut into rings.

The larger rings he then splits into halls or quarters using a concrete pecker and picks them up stacks on pallets.

We use telehandler to put pallets next to splitter.

Spilt logs into vented bags put on pallet and stacked

Don't get me wrong there is still some lifting and bending involved but its keep to a minimum.

Short answer 360 with grab and pecker and a telehandler.

As beechwood says the best thing I ever bought was a grab and rotator to go on my 5tonne 360, load 10foot cords of 16" diameter straight onto the processor and anything bigger onto horizontal splitter then pick the billets up and stack in the shed ready for processing on a rainy day. If you have 25k to spend then you could buy a decent second hand 360 for £7000-£8000 then kit it up with a grab and rotator for another £1000.

I know this might sound a bit simple but good quality ppe that's not too heavy, I don't use a forestry helmet when processing just some light weight ear defenders and glasses, light weight jacket and chainsaw trousers, I also avoid braces because they stop me standing up straight, and have a weight lifters belt,

If you have a sore back a cream called voltarol ( or the cheap equilivent) does work wonders:thumbup: the less weight you carry around with you all day the better good luck rich