Winch.. Tirfor or...?

Eastern

Really could of done with one today so looking to invest in a hand operated winch for future use.

Decent Tirfor's get very good money even for second hand units.

What do you guys/girls use?

Huge range on the market from £20 - £££.

Dont want to spend the earth on something thats maybe going to get a days use per month BUT on the otherhand a decent winch would of saved us hours today... So... open to thoughts :)

For the record, I do 95% domestic work.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guess I will have to start checking out my local car boot sales :)

I do have a winch, but its a modified car engine host so has very limited pull before running out of chain. Having said its been a great tool.

Will look out a Tirfor.

Assume these dont come under LOLAR ? Suppose its used for lifting? But not a person of course!

I have a Tirfor Tu16 and a lugall.

IMHO: I had a Jet style winch it was five ton and was not a patch on the smaller Tirfor (1.6t lift/3.2t pull)

The TU16 can be bought for £100 and is a very safe bet. Light enough to carry strong enough to pull some big stuff over safely.

The 'tirfor like' winches are 'okay' but not something that's advised. The smaller ones may he better. The 5 ton one took ages to winch in and weighed what it could pull.

Tifor £ for £ is the way forward..