Jack London's Oak under Attack.

treeseer

This tree shed a big limb a year ago, and has been assessed to death since. Not a dime spent on pruning, evidently. Now it's being condemned.

Why is that? Comments welcome on the alternatives.

http://www.historictreecare.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/jacks-oak-painted.jpg

That the author's name is the same as your capital's is just a coinkydink. :001_tongue::001_tongue:

Good find Jules, the detective must of been else wise engaged to have missed feeding us this part of the jigsaw :biggrin:

Any idea what the annual occupancy of the immediate area is Guy ?

'Looks' to be a good candidate for reduction work to me.

Also intrigued as to which 'pathogen' is in attendance.

Looks like it's been typically trimmed to death, as in lions tailed this certainly wouldn't of helped issues and will not help future management as a lot of the internal growth has been removed. Apologise if I am mistaken,

Not sure just how accurate this is but two pathogens are named here

Jack's Oak Tree

If it is accurate not sure about the prognosis Annulohypoxylon thouarsianum is closely related to the genus Hypoxylon, and there are few references to Inonotus andersonii but it has been described in some texts as a contributing factor to branch loss in oaks (http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/foresthealth/pubs/oakpests/p46.html)

Edited by sean freeman

There have been many popular articles so no i did not link them all. Jules what did you find so illuminating?

David, occupancy rate during storms is extremely low. Cabling the one leader will tend to protect the house, which is the only target, aside from the rare pedestrian.

From this view it's sheer neglect and malpractice, allowing unchecked sprawl while (apparently) removing interior foliage.

The commonalities with the Anne Frank tree here are scary. I doubt anyone will build a cage around this one; I hope they agree to allow pruning and reassessment in 2 years. We work with trees, so we should work in tree time.

Taupo, i trust that cooler heads will prevail in NZ. Got a pic?

Edited by treeseer

Old Scarlet Oak in Taupo. Same thing in many ways. This is one of the oldest trees in town and protected. No root protection so people had walked, dug and god knows what else around the base. The soil was extremely compacted. Most internal and lower canopy growth had been removed so people could see "through" the tree. Heaps of poor pruning cuts although the tree had been braced. A report several years ago recommended a reduction and re bracing but it was never done. We had another report done while meantime fencing off around the drip line and giving the tree a good feed. It took a year for the consent to come through on the reduction work and re bracing. We sought help and advice on here for the type of reduction and what else we could do to help the old tree. It has since been rebraced and will be reduced gradually over a number of years, starting this winter.

IMG_0097.jpg.d4e9abb0360005abe2043b3a8f1a77bf.jpg

5976673fda5d7_2012-04-23001001.jpg.702970ae95ec5f7056117afc89219e14.jpg

5976673fd4739_ProtectedOakmulching018.jpg.dd3f1bcd632e1c4e0b727a990a505d85.jpg