Ebay troubles - a Saw I sold recently

Chris Sheppard

Sold one of my 357's on ebay at the satart of November and originally the guy was chuffed to bits with it, but I got an email this morning saying he's been having bother with it becoming sluggish after about 15 minutes and when he took it into the dealer they're saying it's scoring the piston, it wants a new barrel and piston and a new carb.

Now, I know it was running fine when it left as I took it in with me and ran it through the log heap for a bit and it was faultless. Prior to that it had felled a hundred tonne or so of hairy Scot with no problem either.

I'm thinking he's run it with either cheap oil or a bad mix - but it's his word against mine.

Don't know where I'd stand if ebay get involved either. As I know I've not done anything wrong, I'm inclined to just dig my heels in and let ebay deal with it - surely I can't be any worse off then than if I was to take the saw back and refund him now.

Have asked him for photos and the dealer's details but wondered if anyone else has been in this position?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably trying it on. Had a problem with a guy who bought a mobile phone off me, picked up in person, five minutes later he phones and says the phone is damaged and wanted some money back, but wouldn't bring it back to show me, then complained to eBay! Still no evidence so they sided with me. I think at the end of the day it's all sold as seen

Ebay is an auction, as long as you described it accurately and honestly, then there are no comebacks.

You buy on ebay you take your chance.

A couple of years ago I bought a 142, guy said it had been serviced, it had not and the bar was bent. When I complained he refunded me £50. So that was a good buy, and it is still going strong.

I have bought many things on the Bay, most have been bargains, with the rare case of a dud, usually if you complain when you receive the item, it can be sorted easily.

It is not your problem that the guy has possibly put the wrong fuel in.

H-A

I did a lot of selling on ebay and got sick of people buying machines and then opening a case wanting a refund saying they are scared of the saw or the brushcutter is too powerful for their requirements. As a business on there i had to refund and arrange for the machine to be collected, part of the distance selling regulations. Nine times out of ten the machine had been used for longer than it takes to realise your frightened or its too powerful, i was been treated as a hire shop that never got payed and there was nothing i could do about it, ebay is set out for the buyer. Now i sell under a personal account and offer no returns on machines at all, every part is marked and the machine is videoed running. Since then ive not had one request to return the item.

I would let him open a case and see how it goes, as you say you wont be any worse off as hes probably left you positive feedback already.

Edited by Ray1