Got kick back of a saw

ASH TREE SURGEON

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Huge thanks & respect to you for sharing this, it's a great visual lesson that will stick in my mind.... along with other true chainsaw stories (some sadly far, far worse than yours).

Have to admit a few months ago I had a few close calls when undercutting with a Silky Saw, completely due to bad positioning (there is no chain-brake on a silky). Each close call was due to working when tired/ at the end of the day. Sounds like such a simple tool but using the Silky has taught me a huge amount. My nose could have quite easily looked like yours.

I'm so glad I didn't dive straight into managing our woodland with a chainsaw - and whilst I have used other peoples chainsaws in the past, and felled a tree on my own; all with very little experience or safety knowledge it makes me shudder to think how stupid that was.

Top man thanks pal. Yeah the silky zubats are dangerous too x

i,am so glad your ok ash you must keep your eye on the ball so to speak" as you have been very very lucky food for thought & how you,ll do it next time etc maybe a wake up call for you and how your using your saw take care mate keep safe

Nice one pal. Yeah a good reality check here! Must give my saws more respect or they'll give me another slap in the bloody Nose!

Are the eyes going black yet

But can I just mention that the saw should not be in line with your head at any time and this is usually down to stance

Keep your thumb wrapped as well the amount of times I have to mention thumb to folk is amazing.

At least it,s your nose and not your neck or eye although made me grimace.

Even if the inertia brake had kicked in you'd have still got a proper wallop, I think bad work positioning as much to blame as faulty brake

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Work positioning is all at fault, regardless of whether the brake was present or not, neither my stihl 090, 051 or homelite VI944 were fitted with brakes before I got them (the 051 has since been retro-fitted with a brake), these have all been caused to kick back, even with the old, slow saws is violent and fast! Even if the saw has a brake, always keep your body out of line of the bar and chain, you never know when the band may snap!

One thing I don't understand is how small logs caused it, the chain pulls small logs into the saw, where as kick-back is caused from the upper bar tip, so unless you were cutting in a stack or using the tip, I don't see how it happened?

Work positioning is all at fault, regardless of whether the brake was present or not, neither my stihl 090, 051 or homelite VI944 were fitted with brakes before I got them (the 051 has since been retro-fitted with a brake), these have all been caused to kick back, even with the old, slow saws is violent and fast! Even if the saw has a brake, always keep your body out of line of the bar and chain, you never know when the band may snap!

One thing I don't understand is how small logs caused it, the chain pulls small logs into the saw, where as kick-back is caused from the upper bar tip, so unless you were cutting in a stack or using the tip, I don't see how it happened?

I wasn't cutting with the nose! I was cutting at the start if the bar nearest to where the engain sits! The log must of jammed and wanted to jump! I was nearlt down cutting! No matter where you place your head! The saw is in your hands! Although I do keep my head left and out of the way. If the saw goes that way it goes that way. Cheers though ashley

Hope your healing well, what time through your working day did it happen.?

I was logging for 6 hours today and in the last 10 mins at the end of the day nearly sliced through my boot and left shin.

Own fault as been recovering for the past three days from a sh@te cold and shouldn't have even bothered starting the saw .

Hope you are well and gettin back on the horse ASAP.

Please don't mention the word break. Me like a fool broken the chain brake only the other day ;(.... And like a fool used the saw with the broke. Chain brake! Thought I'd be ok as I was stood still, I am pretty sure that the brake would of came on before it him my face! ;( very angry with my self ;(

Sorry to state the obvious mate but it was your fault if you new full well the saw was faulty

Get another saw or leave it untill you saw is fixed

I wasn't cutting with the nose! I was cutting at the start if the bar nearest to where the engain sits! The log must of jammed and wanted to jump! I was nearlt down cutting! No matter where you place your head! The saw is in your hands! Although I do keep my head left and out of the way. If the saw goes that way it goes that way. Cheers though ashley

Were you using the top side or bottom? And as for standing to the side and the saw getting you, that is all work positioning. I would imagine you're round my age (22), always take the time to assess what you're doing, you were lucky this time, but think, what if you were climbing and you didn't check for close vertical limbs in a conifer? Or cracks on a main limb you're anchored to? I'm not trying to have a go at you, but think about what you're doing, and don't try to blame inanimate objects when you f*** up, it happens to all of us, look at what you did wrong (using a saw without a brake isn't the answer), learn from it, and try not to do it again.