Got kick back of a saw

ASH TREE SURGEON

hi mate ouch ! my nose looks bad enough as it is . the lessons you remember are the harsh ones . suprised by some of the replys very harsh and know it all ! we have all made mistakes and will continue to do so ! good luck mate take it easy and try and think through what your about to do !..:thumbup1:

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi mate ouch ! my nose looks bad enough as it is . the lessons you remember are the harsh ones . suprised by some of the replys very harsh and know it all ! we have all made mistakes and will continue to do so ! good luck mate take it easy and try and think through what your about to do !..:thumbup1:

very true:thumbup::thumbup:

Huge thanks & respect to you for sharing this, it's a great visual lesson that will stick in my mind.... along with other true chainsaw stories (some sadly far, far worse than yours).

Have to admit a few months ago I had a few close calls when undercutting with a Silky Saw, completely due to bad positioning (there is no chain-brake on a silky). Each close call was due to working when tired/ at the end of the day. Sounds like such a simple tool but using the Silky has taught me a huge amount. My nose could have quite easily looked like yours.

I'm so glad I didn't dive straight into managing our woodland with a chainsaw - and whilst I have used other peoples chainsaws in the past, and felled a tree on my own; all with very little experience or safety knowledge it makes me shudder to think how stupid that was.

Huge thanks & respect to you for sharing this, it's a great visual lesson that will stick in my mind.... along with other true chainsaw stories (some sadly far, far worse than yours).

Have to admit a few months ago I had a few close calls when undercutting with a Silky Saw, completely due to bad positioning (there is no chain-brake on a silky). Each close call was due to working when tired/ at the end of the day. Sounds like such a simple tool but using the Silky has taught me a huge amount. My nose could have quite easily looked like yours.

I'm so glad I didn't dive straight into managing our woodland with a chainsaw - and whilst I have used other peoples chainsaws in the past, and felled a tree on my own; all with very little experience or safety knowledge it makes me shudder to think how stupid that was.

:lol: No kick back either :laugh1:

That looks real sore, hope it heals fast.

Good on you for posting, most would just keep quiet, very honest of you and will help others to learn from your errors.

This close shave (as it really could have been very, very much worse) could actually be a blessing in disguise, many years ago when I had only been climbing for a couple of years, I made a very foolish error. I had been climbing all morning, dismantling a Maple, finished it and came down for lunch. In the afternoon there was a Lime to winch over, the chain needed installing at about 15'. No need for a harness, just spikes, nip up chain in, nip down, right, what could go wrong??

So I tide a piece of thin blue polyprop to the chain and the other end to a belt loop on my pants. Up I spike, into all the greenery you get on Limes. I stand on a nice thick 8" limb and pull the chain up using the rope, as the chain leaves the floor the limb snaps off and I head down!!!! (the limb was dead, but was surrounded by live growth so looked alive)

I landed stood up and squatted right down then jumped back up. I was shook up but seemed OK. Unfortunately the numpty I was working for had cut an Elder, leaving a pointed stub, that stub had gone 6" into my thigh.

I ended up in hospital overnight for an operation to clean the wound and a fortnight off work while I healed, BUT it could have been much, much worse.

Any way the point I'm taking an age to get to is, that accident was 18 years ago and its the only one I've had, I learned my lesson and don't take risks.

Great post.:thumbup1: