04 transit engine problems

NoRush

I had a problem with my previous 53 plate. There is an advance solenoid in the pump which advances the pump for cold starts and should return immediately, but mine did not always return.

When it stuck it would knock like hell and chuck out smoke. I would not drive it for fear of damage. It would often free off when warm, but got to the stage eventually where it would not.

Never had an injection problem though.

Al say the turbos knackered, check the oil and if there none it the engine it will be in the intercooler, the Knock might be a big end bearing and the ticking tappets ..When the bearings goes on the turbo it drags the oil in to the cylinders and runs on its own oil and goes BANG but it will rev up on it's own then bang. And it will be a chain not a belt :blushing:

It sounds like a single cylinder tractor with no power. Could it of slipped on the timing belt. I would guess its never had a service. Another question . How do you find the total mileage. The digital clock is only showing the daily rest clock

What engine is it as there are many variants of engine in the transits.

And I wouldn't work on one again for all the money in the world. They are horrible. Stupid design and stupid to work with.

And depending on the engine depends on belt or chain.

Turbo is worth a check. But my money is on timing or cold start.

What engine is it as there are many variants of engine in the transits.

And I wouldn't work on one again for all the money in the world. They are horrible. Stupid design and stupid to work with.

And depending on the engine depends on belt or chain.

Turbo is worth a check. But my money is on timing or cold start.

Lol I've got 1 in my garage with the same problem, they stopped using belts about 99/00 the old style engine are 100x better than the new style 1s.

Lol I've got 1 in my garage with the same problem, they stopped using belts about 99/00 the old style engine are 100x better than the new style 1s.

Agreed. And I'm feeling for you bud. I will never touch one again.

Have a look at how you need to drop the engine out. Then look how the sub frame lines up with it all. Oh and the drive shafts.

Sorry de rail.