Van engine issue

Rich2484

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thats an egr in broonies pic. If that clogs up will jam open and kill performance. Its a crap emmission device a bypass kit on ebay and chuck the lot in the corner of the w/shop until you sell the van. It is designed to feed some of the crap from the exhaust back into the air intake. Cool fresh air is better than exhaust :thumbup1: the engine must be a direct injection with injectors right in the combustion chamber. Dont need glow plugs good economy and power but lots of clatter especially when cold. Proper old school engine.

Thats an egr in broonies pic. If that clogs up will jam open and kill performance. Its a crap emmission device a bypass kit on ebay and chuck the lot in the corner of the w/shop until you sell the van. It is designed to feed some of the crap from the exhaust back into the air intake. Cool fresh air is better than exhaust :thumbup1: the engine must be a direct injection with injectors right in the combustion chamber. Dont need glow plugs good economy and power but lots of clatter especially when cold. Proper old school engine.

Yeah that's it. Direct into bore. Proper old school. Why I didn't bring up electrickery. Lucky the lights work let alone anything else :lol::lol:

Did have a moment where applying the brakes activated the wipers, :001_rolleyes::lol::lol::lol:

Not sure on that bypass bit. Will have a good look. Not even sure there is one. The inter cooler is in good nick. And air can flow freely through it. Checked that already.

Will look into the vacuum hoses Tomorrow. Really steering away from fuel as I have checked that and it's all good, the last service was well under a year ago. Begining of this year I think. Without looking I'm not sure.

And I cleared all the fuel lines today.

Will go through a few of the ideas people have said but the more the merrier.

Good old arb talk. :thumbup1:

Oh and yes looking into the forums but a lot have just said head gasket, but I know it's not that. That's too simple for this problem.

This

Fuel filter

Letting enough fuel through at low revs and once under pressure flow drops off with dirty filter

I normally wait until the 300tdi in the discovery does it then stick a fresh filter on and it's good again for another few years

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Nope. As why would it rev right up to redline in the first place and hold there for a time before dropping right down again. And then loosing the power. If it was fuel related it would just run like a bag o whatnot.

Because I just am.

A few things really, no loss of comp. engine starts first time every time. Hot or freezing cold. Plus the tell tales are not there. Oil and water bits are all good.

I've fixed head gaskets far too many times on far too many types of engine to know when one has gone.

Will change the filter tomoz. Have an identical van luckily that I can try bits from to see if it's anything like.