Van engine issue

Rich2484

Because I just am.

A few things really, no loss of comp. engine starts first time every time. Hot or freezing cold. Plus the tell tales are not there. Oil and water bits are all good.

I've fixed head gaskets far too many times on far too many types of engine to know when one has gone.

Will change the filter tomoz. Have an identical van luckily that I can try bits from to see if it's anything like.

I would do a compression test to make sure. You may have a leak between pots. I have had a few head gaskets with no signs in oil, water or over heating. Make sure the lift pump is good and healthy. sounds like fuel starvation or blocked pick up in the tank

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm with Landrover 101 on this - the symptoms are very similar to those I had earlier this year on the Volvo. In my case it got really bad and would stall if you tried to pull more fuel through - limping it to the garage down busy A-roads at no more than 40 with it randomly stalling when you tried to go up longer hills was memorably unpleasant. It could be the filter itself, but I would also check the fuel lines and the housing - anywhere that could have got constricted over time.

Alec

I am with the collapsing inlet hoses on this one Richard. I reckon they are sucking in at revs and staying sucked in until the revs drop off sufficiently to let them pop back out. I have seen this often, especially if the air filter is a bit restricted. Very easy to check.

fit new diesel filter and clean out the filter in the lift pump.

should of been first things to do.

Does an engine revving to redline suggest a crapped up filter, not sure about that one, what year is van? Too lazy to read all posts sorry!