bowl turning thread

se7enthdevil

We have a Man Shed starting up in the village and someone is teaching woodturning, so as soon as this holiday period is over I am going down for a refresher session. I would like to get better so that I can enter the wood class at some local village flower shows.

Try sheer scraping on the outside to remove any tool marks and or torn grain, I use a swept back gouge for this but there are many other ways, just very gently to remove the finest of shavings, if done correctly it is actually a cut as opposed to a scrape as the description suggest, scraping will always leave an inferior finish to a cut.

Stu

I used a round scraper to finish. Is a shear scrape a different technique. I'll look into it on YouTube

Yes it is scraping at an angle of 45 degrees to the axis of the lathe, it then gives a fine peeling cut which severs the fibres of the wood leaving a very fine finish which needs minimal if any sanding. Lyle JAMIESON on You Tube give a good description and demonstration in one of his videos. It is a very very fine "cut" well worth getting the hang of. Make sure you have a new sharp burr on what ever tool you use.