bowl turning thread

se7enthdevil

Got it caught a few times Ian hollowing it out, think it's knackered now ! I suppose an excuse to get a new one.. Can you recommend any?

Couple of questions what do you guys use to sharpen your tools and what sort of angles should they be at ?

How often should you be sharpening during the course of making a bowl ? Any help would be great cheers , mat

Got it caught a few times Ian hollowing it out, think it's knackered now ! I suppose an excuse to get a new one.. Can you recommend any?

Couple of questions what do you guys use to sharpen your tools and what sort of angles should they be at ?

How often should you be sharpening during the course of making a bowl ? Any help would be great cheers , mat

Maybe pushing the gouge a little to hard?

I use crown and sorby gouges, I have a 1/4 and a 1/2" for bowls, generally sharpen 3-4 times on a dry bowl and maybe twice on a green bowl.

Use a white and pink wheel on a high speed grinder and I grind freehand. If your starting out then a jig is probably best

I sharpen every time I think I need to sharpen, little and often, it takes seconds. I mostly use a 5/8 Robert Sorby gouge from start to finish including shear scraping with the swept back wings very often no need to sand, maybe at just 400 grit on a dry bowl. I use a Robert sorby jig and can recommend it, they are often on E*bay for a bargain price.

Look up Lyle Jamieson on You Tu8e he has some graet tips and has a simple and very effective approach to bowl turning which really works. The captive deep hollowing jig he uses is also an absolute winner and is sooo easy to produce stunning vessels.

Stu

Thanks stu I will check him out , I've tried to watch a few u tube vids being a complete noob and only found a few educational !!

Quick ash type platter /bowl that came off a small burr just finished from this morning, any constructive advice much welcome... Now it's stopped raining should get back out side !

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1436350679.083008.jpg.800817b0bac072f7869b48c2f5a2ae00.jpg

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1436350707.066084.jpg.668cddf7241095f0ddd561c971980a53.jpg

Nice piece of work, my personal opinion is that the foot is a little heavy and makes the platter look unbalanced, but, that is my opinion and everyone has their own tastes - don't be told otherwise. If you wish to reduce the foot reverse turn it and gently turn away until the desire shape/size is reached. but very nice and a good piece of timber to.