bowl turning thread

se7enthdevil

I put a fresh bit of birch in and it went bang.  Wood was fine, glass plate was fine, but the ceiling of the microwave looked like it had been punched.  It growls a bit now when it's on.  

I also put a tool handle in once, forgetting it already had a ferrule on.  That crackled a bit.  That microwave has since died but I think it's unrelated.  I was going to use it to make one of those Lichtenberg things, but while thinking about it I put my wet hand into a toaster, and decided high voltage probably wasn't for me.

Bloody hell I bet that stung. I think the voltages in those lichtenberg machines are a bit on the dodgy side for diy jobs. Especially to be used when your alone in a workshop or shed

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Haven’t been able to turn since Feb but made time today. I didn’t want to try anything big just wanted to start and finish something. I used a bit of brown oak that was bone dry but had a split that may have gone in too far but I started turning and it was solid underneath. Just under 9” in diameter and around 8mm wall thickness
Good to get back at it
e730f7d0b874dc9da3c3fed891fc5d02.jpg92df70d0060e090a541212098dff7a4f.jpg