What vehicle hire for odd few tonnes?

Towser

What and where would you hire (on a car licence) to pick up the odd few tonnes of firewood? I don’t want to keep on overloading our VW transporter.

Or even better who would you hire to get the job done?

What’s the most cost effective way?

I am in Tring.

Depends what type of timber? If it's all local arb arisings, I'd find your local 'man and transit tipper' who will usually be found delivering small quantities of ballast to local builders, or maybe hire a local builder with a tipping transit type vehicle. If you and the lads load it one end and all they have to do is drive to your yard and tip, it should be fairly cheap, man and van is a competitive market.

If you do it regularly, I'd get a trailer for your van.

Hi Towser,

Acacia hire out alot of trailers for things like this - we have a small caged trailer that is perfect for transporting wood and tree cuttings in the volumes you have. Acacia charge around £45 +VAT a day for hire of a 750kg caged trailer so this is a low cost option, especially if you are local and can pick it up - otherwise you can usually pay a delivery/collection charge to save the journey.

If this is not an option then a man with a van would be a good choice, or hire a small van for a day if you do it yourself. There is a vehicle rental company in Aylesbury called Northgate who are very good.

If you are interested in the caged trailer, give us a buzz (01273 494939), pop us an email ([email protected]) or take a look at our online catalogue for more details on the trailer (www.acaciarental.com). We are based in Henfield, West Sussex.

Hope that helps!

-Acacia Groundcare

as above I use a local tipper & grab firm they charge £50+vat per hour for the wagon & driver if its a bit of a drive to the job site they charge travelling time 25-50 quid plus vat

I had them pick up 3 large beech trees we had ringed up the other week the tipper body on the wagon was full & he was still under weight & only cost 100 quid +vat it would have cost me almost twice that in diesel to move the same quantity of rings on my 3.5 ton iveco!!!

Hi Towser,

Acacia hire out alot of trailers for things like this - we have a small caged trailer that is perfect for transporting wood and tree cuttings in the volumes you have. Acacia charge around £45 +VAT a day for hire of a 750kg caged trailer so this is a low cost option, especially if you are local and can pick it up - otherwise you can usually pay a delivery/collection charge to save the journey.

If this is not an option then a man with a van would be a good choice, or hire a small van for a day if you do it yourself. There is a vehicle rental company in Aylesbury called Northgate who are very good.

If you are interested in the caged trailer, give us a buzz (01273 494939), pop us an email ([email protected]) or take a look at our online catalogue for more details on the trailer (www.acaciarental.com). We are based in Henfield, West Sussex.

Hope that helps!

-Acacia Groundcare

Can you put a few tonnes of timber on a 750kg trailer. I tend to use a disco and 3.5 tonne trailer and with in 10 mins you are full.