8" logs

arniecardigan

I've just had a request for 8" max logs! are stoves getting smaller or does my customer not know what 8" looks like:thumbup:!?

I cut most of my logs to 10/11" so have told her I'll have to charge extra to cover extra time etc.

Am I being reasonable in charging more??

i dont think that is unreasonable at all, as in all commercial activities a change from the norm will invariably lead to an increase in price-most things being so competitively priced-cutting firewood included. I would just be mindfull that the increase shouldnt be too steep as you will want her future custom-folk always like to know there getting a "good deal" if you get my drift...Nick Pearson, Timberline-Roe Ltd.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can only get smaller logs in a Rayburn or in a Victorian style open fireplace. There are also some shallower stoves designed to fit in an existing Victorian/Edwardian fireplace opening.

Alec

I know only too well - was cutting some firewood today for a friend with a Rayburn and even at 12 inches it was still too much!

Steve - will let you know. I decided reasonably recently that where possible I'd always buy from small businesses like myself. I don't know how he makes any money on those stoves though as they are very inexpensive and look well made. Will update next week when it's lit.

Jonathan

I know only too well - was cutting some firewood today for a friend with a Rayburn and even at 12 inches it was still too much!

Steve - will let you know. I decided reasonably recently that where possible I'd always buy from small businesses like myself. I don't know how he makes any money on those stoves though as they are very inexpensive and look well made. Will update next week when it's lit.

Jonathan

Look forward to the update. Looks controllable as opposed to the gas bottle ones I'm looking at on eBay.

Dave

I have had the odd customer order logs, deliver them as agreed and then they ask me to come and collect them again as they won't fit into their stove. All 10-12". They claim they can only fit 6" logs into their stove and they never thought to mention it! I had to cut the whole lot in half for them. Luckily just around the corner.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

I usually cut at 240mm but last summer I took on an agency for Aarow stoves, their 4kw stove wants 200mm max, they are flying off the shelf.

Modern houses are highly insulated and have tiny rooms so dont need a whole lot of heat, (3kw - 4kw usually) so there is a whole new generation of small stoves coming through for this market.

Next year I will cut probably half at 200mm.

A