Petty poppy day teachers

Graham

Forget the racism, the turbans, all that. This is to about that. This is about a school rules and regulations being broken. If they turned up in jeans and t shirts, they'd be sent home, cadet uniform is not school uniform. Simple. I do sympathise with them, and their intentions were all good, but wrong time wrong place. They should have asked for special permission from the school, maybe donated say £1 to the Poppy Appeal, per uniform worn. There are ways to do things, and their way, in this case was not appropriate. Wearing a poppy, on Armistice Day, would suffice to show support and respect.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Forget the racism, the turbans, all that. This is to about that. This is about a school rules and regulations being broken. If they turned up in jeans and t shirts, they'd be sent home, cadet uniform is not school uniform. Simple. I do sympathise with them, and their intentions were all good, but wrong time wrong place. They should have asked for special permission from the school, maybe donated say £1 to the Poppy Appeal, per uniform worn. There are ways to do things, and their way, in this case was not appropriate. Wearing a poppy, on Armistice Day, would suffice to show support and respect.

This is taken from the comments with the article

RachTHball

November 12, 2013 11:23 am

I actually attend this school, I am a year 13 sixth form pupil and i would like to say that the pupils did ask for permission to attend the school in their cadet uniform, they WERE given clearance by the head teacher to do this yet when the 11th hour was over they were all sent home to change. The 2 minute silence as a mark of respect was also shortened to a 1 minute silence as it was said to be 'too difficult' to keep the school silent for 2 minutes, yet the silence was actually less than a minute long, it was 56 seconds maximum as i actually counted on the clock, a vast majority of the school pupils and teachers all feel this was an extremely disrespectful act and i can say i am extremely disgusted to have to say i attend his school under a head teacher who would do such a thing

A tough call I bet for the head teacher, trying to keep hundreds of teenagers in line all day, that can't be easy.

I think he will of used his best judgement at the time given all the circumstances.

It may have been the case that it was best to send 4 well disciplined kids home to change than have an uproar from the noisy ones. The minute the press get a hold of something, I take it with a pinch of salt.