Pathetic co-workers?

Python

I know exactly how you feel man! Lads who I work with are all great and I get on well with everyone. But there's one, hands it out well, but as soon as anyone gives it back straight to the gaffer. Get a grip! Bit of harmless banter is fine, sometimes it is taken a bit too far yes, but I'm fairly thick skinned anyway and can take it well, work wouldn't be the same without it! :)

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Know when to draw the line. It's about understanding your staff and pushing the banter with the ones who 'get it' and keeping it strictly business or lowkey with the ones who don't. My last place we ripped into each other, which we all enjoyed. Only time I lost it was when some arse pulled all the keys from my keyboard off and replaced them in the wrong places which took me an eternity to sort out, which stopped me from being able to do my job. At my current place, it's strictly business. Different culture innit.

Your the foreman, you need to make a list of ground rules and police them.

If you are innocent then speak to your bosses alone, you have your rights as well.

First thing in the morning, it's hand shakes all round and start a fresh.

Chainsaws, Chippers and trees don't mix with bad feeling on a site.

If this lad is a bad egg, then catalogue his behaviour and let the bossesdeal with it. Your running a tree crew, not a crèche .

This is why I work alone.

You must set the rules from Day 1, Minute 1, otherwise you end up in situations like this.

Take 10 minutes to find out your new guy/gals's background and life issues. Give them your history.

Tell them how the tasks are arranged and what is expected of them.

Let them know that issues should be raised with you before they go home. Taking things home just multiplies in their heads overnight and everyone, family and colleagues, suffer more.

Make them understand that YOU WILL LISTEN and do your best to fix their concerns.

Present team members get a gentle warning to take it easy to begin with. Set boundaries.

If you have this in place, the banter will be there, and in time can get more lively without the effects described by the OP.

If you're in the dwang with someone like that, then take them aside, something along the lines of "I think we've got off to a bad start......" and then state your rules for them and you.

Personnel management is a really difficult area, but hope this helps Python?

Banter you girls don't know the meaning of the word banter. Try working with my two crews there banter consists of warm mars bars in your boots and feeding your pack lunch to the clients dog. And theres taking your chain out of the toping saw when your in the tree. And don't forget the classic tie a branch to you climbing line so when your coming down your greeted with a bush. And then comes the i am your dad jokes and your sister and i was going to be your dad but the dog got there first jokes.

We play a tuff game and if the new lads cant take the banter. Then the arb game is not for them.

You have to be mental to be in this profession.

Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.

Edited by Stephen Blair

Banter you girls don't know the meaning of the word banter. Try working with my two crews there banter consists of warm mars bars in your boots and feeding your pack lunch to the clients dog. And theres taking your chain out of the toping saw when your in the tree. And don't forget the classic tie a branch to you climbing line so when your coming down your greeted with a bush. And then comes the i am your dad jokes and your sister and i was going to be your dad but the dog got there first jokes.

Wow, that sounds like a great place to work :sneaky2:

We play a tuff game and if the new lads cant take the banter. Then the arb game is not for them.

That's an interesting take on it. I disagree though.

Threads like this make me really glad I don't work with some of you. Everyone I work for or with gets on well, with no bickering, sniping or "banter" and, oddly enough, we seem to get the work done OK.

It does sound like some of you have never left the school playground - yet wonder why sometimes people have a problem with it.

Edited by Chris Sheppard

Wow, that sounds like a great place to work :sneaky2:

That's an interesting take on it. I disagree though.

Threads like this make me really glad I don't work with some of you. Everyone I work for or with gets on well, with no bickering, sniping or "banter" and, oddly enough, we seem to get the work done OK.

It does sound like some of you have never left the school playground - yet wonder why sometimes people have a problem with it.

Well said that man

:congrats::congrats::congrats:

My take is..

Arb is not a tuff game, it's a hazardous job.

You don't have to be mental... You have to have your wits about you and concentrate on the job, not worrying about Mars bars on your boots

Banter passes the day and is welcome, practical jokes are another matter

There's a big difference between mickey taking and stupid pranks. Be nice having to make a quick exit from a tree with a bleeding limb and having to unjam a branch off your hitch.