Muntjac deer grazing habits

They are not native, I think they originated in China and go by the alternative name of 'Chinese water deer', but don't quote me on it. The only way to control them is to shoot them. They taste great by the way, I had Muntjac haunch in chocolate sauce a while back....its goooooooood !. Too many people let the 'cuddly, furry animal brigade' get in the way of good woodland management. I say give Muntys and Grey squirrels the good news!

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

muntjac and chinese water deer are two different species and chinese water deer are actualy a threatend species in their own country we have something like a third of the global population if i remember correctly

muntjac and chinese water deer are two different species and chinese water deer are actualy a threatend species in their own country we have something like a third of the global population if i remember correctly

Thats right, forigners pay sill money to shoot a CWD. There were originaly 2 types of Muntjac imported to England, The Indian (none left) and the Reeves which is causing mayhem ever where.

How far North have munties got now? We used to see a lot when we were planting round Northants a few years ago but never actually seen one further north. There was panic a few years back when one was allegedly spotted in Greystoke Forest near Penrith - we spent loads of time there stalking with college and never saw any though.

Never actually seen a CWD in the flesh come to think of it.

I have got rare flowers up in one of my woods i spotted muntjac tracks so i sent the keeper there and he got it. On friday i went there and i saw anouther one. Anyway a lady is keeping an eye on the flowers for me she phoned this morning and said they have been eaten:sad:

What a shame there is no bow hunting in the UK....Fresh good meat some skins and antlers all from one little deer. There's no boom from the gun so you can take 2,3,4,5 deers in a row if you're good...........

use chestnut fencing....it works on munjac, limited on roe and fallow. i would be blunt with them and cough up more money for better protection or loose trees. as the meercat on the adds puts it "simples".

you can plant other under-canapy for them to brouse on. i`ve wondered if a layed hedge would stop munjac round a planted area ?

A high seat and a deer legal rifle is the best way. You can shoot deer at night under licence if thats the best way. we have loads of the buggers around Northampton !

get in touch with a stalker to help you out...

best of luck

A high seat and a deer legal rifle is the best way. You can shoot deer at night under licence if thats the best way.

Very unlikely to get a license to shoot deer at night in England! You could use a shotgun with appropriate ammunition although you have to be close and i would advise against it!

Portable high seats sound like the best option.