When do I need PL for felling?

Hello,

I am trying to get into felling/forestry/woodland work and want some advise on insurance, my searches have not given me a 100% answer.

I have been doing some tree surgery groundwork and understand that I do not need my own PL for that, I have also been working on thinnings with another guy he is tractor owner driver and work with him so same insurance situation I think. Also been doing woodland volunteer work doing coppice regeneration etc so I am not completely green to the industry and have saw experience.

My main question is as a self employed one man band do I need PL for hand cutting operations. The situation is slightly different to the tree surgery ground work as you are going to be less directly "under the instruction" of the "site boss" and more autonomous. As I think I understand it I should still be operating under the umbrella of the PL for whoever is the main contractor with me being a temporary self employed employee for the length of the job.

What has thrown me is that looking at some of the old job posts there are self employed hand cutters advertising for work saying they have their own insurance. And potential "employers" also saying they are looking for hand cutters but requiring them to have their own insurance.

Thanks in advance for any advise I hope I can resolve this once and for all.

If you are working under the instruction of another business/person then no. If you take over all responsibility for a site then yes. An example of this would be to quote to thin (x) hectares at (x) amount per tonne/ha. You are then left to complete the job and can bring in help as you wish.

There is an outfit looking for cutters with PLI in the employment section. This is wrong. They need ELI, the cutter needs to show up and cut wood.

Remember PL is not a legal requirement, it's up to you if you have it or not (as said, for your own work only).

Personally I wouldn't risk working without it, but if I was working for someone else it's a waste of money.

The SE cutters who advertise themselves as having their own insurance have wasted their money.

Thanks for the replies.

So basically what I thought was right, I really didn't want to shell out another couple of hundred quid on something I don't need especially as I just self funded through my "cs32" big fell.

Just at the moment I wont be taking on my own jobs, just intend to turn up and cut down what I am told to cut.

Now just the minor issue of actually finding the work.

Thanks again.

Thanks for the replies.

So basically what I thought was right, I really didn't want to shell out another couple of hundred quid on something I don't need especially as I just self funded through my "cs32" big fell.

Just at the moment I wont be taking on my own jobs, just intend to turn up and cut down what I am told to cut.

Now just the minor issue of actually finding the work.

Thanks again.

Well at least you are already in the right place to look. :001_smile:

• 1 year later...

Hello I am just resurrecting this thread as im now in the situation of being a self employed cutter again, working for a contractor on their sites. So technically i don not require PLI as il be covered under theirs? is this correct?? :confused1: BUT if i went for a contract myself i would require PLI if working alone, as soon as i get help in i require ELI. Yes??